What to expect coming from stock ipod ear buds to beyerdynamic Dt990 pro's
post-10674515
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 15

Plantain990

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Posts
6
Likes
0
I just bought beyerdynamic Dt990 pros and I am wondering what to expect coming from stock ipod earbuds(the old kind). I also bought a fiio portable DAC and Amp. I plan on buying a tube amp later.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674613
Post #3 of 15

Plantain990

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Posts
6
Likes
0
So I will be able to tell a difference. All of my music is 320 kids, is that good for these headphones
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674649
Post #4 of 15

cripple1

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Messages
849
Reaction score
171
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Posts
849
Likes
171
It's like watching an old tube TV then suddenly someone replaces that tube TV with a 4k TV. You will definitely "see" the difference.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674834
Post #5 of 15

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
23
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Posts
235
Likes
23
That's a major upgrade. You'll have much greater volume, much more detail (from top to bottom), more dynamics, you'll feel the music more, and the Beyers will be MUCH more comfortable than the "buds". Sounds to me like you'll be very happy with your purchase.
 
Once you hear your setup, you'll probably have created an addiction to music that you've never had before.
 
Enjoy! :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674851
Post #6 of 15

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
23
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Posts
235
Likes
23
So I will be able to tell a difference. All of my music is 320 kids, is that good for these headphones
 
That will probably be fine, but if your DAC supports 24-bit / 96khz-192khz, then you may want to check out some FLAC or ALAC files. They are generally 4x higher resolution (or more) than your standard 320k MP3.
 
But, only your ears will make that determination. Some 320k files still sound very good and I sometimes even fail the blind MP3/FLAC test on my FiiO X3/E12 combo.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674862
Post #7 of 15

soundstige

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Messages
1,797
Reaction score
223
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Posts
1,797
Likes
223
Humans can't hear all those hertz, but generally it's best to use FLAC anyway.
 
Quote:
   
That will probably be fine, but if your DAC supports 24-bit / 96khz-192khz, then you may want to check out some FLAC or ALAC files. They are generally 4x higher resolution (or more) than your standard 320k MP3.
 
But, only your ears will make that determination. Some 320k files still sound very good and I sometimes even fail the blind MP3/FLAC test on my FiiO X3/E12 combo.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674911
Post #8 of 15

Plantain990

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Posts
6
Likes
0
That's good I have been looking for a hobby/addiction to get into. Are beyerdynamic Dt990 a good choice for my first pair.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674929
Post #9 of 15

cripple1

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Messages
849
Reaction score
171
Joined
Jun 23, 2013
Posts
849
Likes
171
I'd say yes. I wen't and started with an M50 myself, but from there I moved on up to a DT880, DT770, HD598, AKG Q701, HD650, Denon D2000 and LCD XC (and quite a few cans in between that I left out). I hope for your wallets sake that you don't get hit by the disease upgrade-itis that a lot of head-fiers, myself included, have had to endure. Lol
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674931
Post #10 of 15

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
23
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Posts
235
Likes
23
That's good I have been looking for a hobby/addiction to get into. Are beyerdynamic Dt990 a good choice for my first pair.
 
I'd say, for your first headphone, that's a very fine choice. Much better than most options you can pick up in the store locally.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674955
Post #11 of 15

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
23
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Posts
235
Likes
23
Humans can't hear all those hertz, but generally it's best to use FLAC anyway.
 
Hear all those hertz?
 
It's not the audible range that is advertised on a DAC with 24/96 or 24/192, that's the sample rate that the DAC controls the audio stream. The more samples, the more data being processed = more music to be heard.
 
There is a night and day difference between my 16bit/44.1k HiFiMAN EF2A and my 24bit/96k Schiit Magni/Modi when comparing the same FLAC files.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674971
Post #12 of 15

soundstige

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Messages
1,797
Reaction score
223
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Posts
1,797
Likes
223
Samples = hertz = frequency. It's all expressed in sine waves at the end... not stairsteps.
 
Quote:
   
Hear all those hertz?
 
It's not the audible range that is advertised on a DAC with 24/96 or 24/192, that's the sample rate that the DAC controls the audio stream. The more samples, the more data being processed = more music to be heard.
 
There is a night and day difference between my 16bit/44.1k HiFiMAN EF2A and my 24bit/96k Schiit Magni/Modi when comparing the same FLAC files.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674979
Post #13 of 15

Skolar311

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Messages
235
Reaction score
23
Joined
Apr 14, 2013
Posts
235
Likes
23
Samples = hertz = frequency. It's all expressed in sine waves at the end... not stairsteps.
 
But is there not a difference between sample frequency and signal frequency?
 
I always thought that 96/192kHz audio refers to the sampling frequency, or how many times per second you are plotting a digital point to approximate the analog wave. Telling me this has nothing to do with the range of human hearing.
 
     Share This Post       
post-10674995
Post #14 of 15

soundstige

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Messages
1,797
Reaction score
223
Joined
Jul 30, 2011
Posts
1,797
Likes
223
Take it from the psychoacoustics analysts on the Xiph team. They can write a lot better than I can about this subject:
 
http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
 
 
Quote:
   
But is there not a difference between sample frequency and signal frequency?
 
I always thought that 96/192kHz audio refers to the sampling frequency, or how many times per second you are plotting a digital point to approximate the analog wave. Telling me this has nothing to do with the range of human hearing.
 
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: TeskR
post-10676088
Post #15 of 15

TeskR

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2014
Messages
294
Reaction score
28
Joined
Mar 12, 2014
Posts
294
Likes
28
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: soundstige

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top