What to do with my HD570s...
Apr 12, 2008 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Icewyng

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have both a pair of HD570 Symphony a while back. I used them for a while until my cable started acting up (being stepped on way too many times) and I decided to put them aside and collect dust. Just got a pair of SR-80 this week and I can now see why people said the 570 is just underpowered...

Is there any way to improve the sound of those? Any mods, cables, anything? I know they'll never sound like the SR-80, but I only want to improve their sound.

Thanks!

Apr 12, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 17
I don't think there's much that can be done with them.

However, the old sennheiser bio-netic headphones are really really great for long-term wear. Set 'em up somewhere you'll listen for long periods - the computer, your office, etc. My 590's are set up for my partner - she doesn't particularly care about differences between them and, say, k701s or hd-650's, but she likes that she can wear them with glasses.

Its been a long time since I compared the 570 to a low end grado, but if memory serves, the 570 will have a bit more bass (though not terribly deep), and less treble. Some recordings may still sound better on them than the sr80.

Apr 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #4 of 17
You could try a Headphile cable...I think Larry's cable for the HD590 is also suitable for the 570 IIRC. Excellent
quality & sound.

Apr 13, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since your stock cable is on its way out, an upgrade replacement cable is a good idea but don't overspend on expensive cables (DIY if possible). You can also experiment with removing the foam sheets from the driver and see if you like the change in sound. Then, consider investing in a good amp.

Do you know where I could find schematics to build one myself? I have zero experience in this so some kind of plan would be good
smily_headphones1.gif

Ph0rk: This is what I want to do. I want to use it on my computer since my old pair or headphones are gone.

Steviebee: Are you talking about the Senn V2 cable at 100$ for 1 meter? If so, I unfortunatly don't have that kind of money for them. Wish I did though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 17
No not the V2...(wallet can cease palpitating!) - it was the 590 cable at the bottom of the Senn page @ Headphile, but I just checked: it's not for the 570, sorry... I must've had a senior moment
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you know where I could find schematics to build one myself? I have zero experience in this so some kind of plan would be good
smily_headphones1.gif

I believe the HD-570 utilises a 2.5mm stereo plug for the connection into itself. Solder one such connector to any 3- or 4-core cable and terminate the other end of the cable with your choice of stereo plug, i.e. the one that plugs into your amp or computer output. The trick is, however, to find a 2.5mm connector small enough that will allow you to plug it into the headphone jack.

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

I believe the HD-570 utilises a 2.5mm stereo plug for the connection into itself. Solder one such connector to any 3- or 4-core cable and terminate the other end of the cable with your choice of stereo plug, i.e. the one that plugs into your amp or computer output. The trick is, however, to find a 2.5mm connector small enough that will allow you to plug it into the headphone jack.

Makes sense. Is there a type of cable I shoud look for in particular that would be good?

Also, I have seen many people recommend using a HD650 cable to boost their phones instead of the standard cable... would that work for the 570 as well?

Thanks!

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Makes sense. Is there a type of cable I shoud look for in particular that would be good?

Also, I have seen many people recommend using a HD650 cable to boost their phones instead of the standard cable... would that work for the 570 as well?

Thanks!

It will be cheaper, easier and neater to get something different. Mini-starquad cables from such as Canare and Mogami are good.

Apr 13, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

It will be cheaper, easier and neater to get something different. Mini-starquad cables from such as Canare and Mogami are good.

Are the Mogami cables expensive to get? Also, where would you get the 2 1/2 connector?

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No not the V2...(wallet can cease palpitating!) - it was the 590 cable at the bottom of the Senn page @ Headphile, but I just checked: it's not for the 570, sorry... I must've had a senior moment
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder... since the 570 cable seems to be the same as the 590 cable on the sennheiser website...

Retail 2002

So... I wonder If it could work? Or does it say so on the webpage?

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Are the Mogami cables expensive to get? Also, where would you get the 2 1/2 connector?

Redco has a good variety of Mini Starquad cables for a good price. Pick your poison.

Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad Mic Cable
Canare L-4E5C Mini Quad Mic Cable
Canare L-4E6S Quad Mic Cable

As for 2.5mm connector though, it's a tough call since they are not as common as the other sizes and I have not really looked around since I sold my HD-570 long before I got inyo DIY-ing cables.

Cheers!

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Redco has a good variety of Mini Starquad cables for a good price. Pick your poison.

Mogami W2893 Miniature Quad Mic Cable
Canare L-4E5C Mini Quad Mic Cable
Canare L-4E6S Quad Mic Cable

As for 2.5mm connector though, it's a tough call since they are not as common as the other sizes and I have not really looked around since I sold my HD-570 long before I got inyo DIY-ing cables.

Looks good. Any suggestions for a 1/8 connector for the end to plug in a computer jack? I will have to check for the 2.5mm connector. Might take a while, I am sure.

Any threads that can help on how to DIY a cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back