What to do with all my old iPods.....?
Jan 15, 2012 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

motrix

New Head-Fier

[size=13.0pt]So after years of accumulating iPod players and now that my kids are old enough to start appreciating music I am debating which player to keep for my personal use and which to give to them.  Started digging for all my old players and to be honest forgot I had some of these around.  Currently have an iPhone 4 but would like to use one of my older players as a dedicated portable player.   Will be using it with the E17 I have on pre-order.  So having the E17 connected to my iPhone is not that appealing to me.  I have been reading all the stuff on which version and year has the best audio chip (Wolfson) etc.....[/size]

1. [size=13.0pt]have my first iPod that needs a new battery but its a 3G 15GB.  Thinking about getting a new battery, CF mod and rockbox[/size]
  2. [size=13.0pt]Green iPod mini 4GB.  Thinking about doing the CF mod and rockbox[/size]
  3. [size=13.0pt]first gen iPod touch 16GB[/size]
  4. [size=13.0pt]iPhone 3G 16GB[/size]
  5. [size=13.0pt]just sent in my first gen nano for the newer replacement due to recall.  Will be dedicated to gym use.[/size]
  6. [size=13.0pt]current version of iPod Shuffle[/size]

[size=13.0pt]According to machintoshhowto.com the 5th and 4th gen iPods rank the top 2 followed by the 1st gen nano (which unfortunately I don't have anymore)[/size]

[size=13.0pt]Anyway I am trying to figure out how to get the best use out of what I have.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]I will always have a special connection to my 3rd gen iPod so I am leaning towards doing the CF mod and rockboxing it and giving my 9 year old daughter my iPhone 3G and my 6 year old son my 1st gen touch.  My daughter's currently using the iPod mini and my son is using the shuffle.[/size]

[size=13.0pt]What would you do…….?[/size]

Jan 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 3
Id sell them... id be interested
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm in a similar situation - having read about the quality of the Wolfson DAC chips in the old iPods, I'm considering whether it'd be worthwhile upgrading an iPod mini 2nd gen with a new battery + a 32GB CF. By all accounts the iPod mini has a pretty bad headphone out but could potentially sound good through a line out + portable amp. How good though? Better than a Sansa Clip+ or Zip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back