What to do when someone uses your address?
Apr 20, 2006 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CRS401

Head-Fier
Hey everybody. I had this problem for a few months already. I don't really know what to do so I'm hoping someone here knows a few things about this stuff.

So here's the problem. I have been someone's mail with my address on it. Lots of stuff like bills and credit card offers and so on. What should I do about this? Is there anything I should watch out for?

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 8
I'll bet that the person named is in real life suffering identity theft, and may be totally unaware it is going on.

Try to look up the name in the phone book, and give them a call - they may not even know it is going on. Whether or not that effort fails, notify the police, and the postmaster - you will be doing that person a BIG favor, and you will have done your good deed for the day.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 8
It might just be someone who once lived at your address ... not necessarily immediately before you. Or perhaps someone filled out a form somewhere, and realizing that by giving their info, they'd wind up on a bunch of mailing lists so fabricated a phoney address which unfortunately wound up being your address. Or perhaps someone you know signed you up on some mailing list ( which gets resold and passed around ) as a practical joke. Or perhaps a typo was made somewhere at some point and that person is a neighbour of yours, living at a different number on your street.

If you can't locate them in the phone book, try writing "Not at this address" on the envelopes and dropping them in the mail.

Apr 20, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS401
Hey everybody. I had this problem for a few months already. I don't really know what to do so I'm hoping someone here knows a few things about this stuff.

So here's the problem. I have been someone's mail with my address on it.

LOL...you call it a problem? The last person who lived in my appartment was the head/owner of many business entreprises. I live in my appartment since 2001 and I still get his * menacing court papers on a regular basis with courtroom dates.....
biggrin.gif

So dont worry and just, as suggested, put it back in the mail.

Amicalement

* How do I know that they are menacing....let's just say that at one time I had to deal with a court officer who did not believed that I wasn't the guy...
eek.gif

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks to everyone who replied. Well I guess it's not really a problem. I was just worried that it might have been a possible scam or something underneath that someone might know of. I tried looking up the person but found no traces. My parents been sending back the mail as you said, not at this address.

Apr 20, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
It's just not right. Life isn't fair, not like it was. You wait, there's going to be a law.
biggrin.gif

ken . . . . . are you campaigning for political office?
tongue.gif

icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 8
Do not open the mail,
just write across it "No such Person, Return to Sender" and drop it in any mailbox.
I think that's why some mail you get has "address correction requested" typed on it. It's to find you.
I'm sure some people are sending my stuff at all my previous addresses.
wink wink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back