What to do! So confused!
Jan 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Psy-Blade

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I'm looking at spending some more money on my listening experience but I have no idea where to start!

First, My current setup goes like this:

PC ----firewire---> Presonus Firebox -------> Tangent Amp-100 ------> Kef Q1's
X360 --RCA--------^ \------- Sennheiser HD595

My main question is, is the presonus firebox a good enough headphone amplifier? Or should I be using something in between?

The next question, for gaming and movies, should I replace my 595's with something like the AKG k701's? Would the firebox be ok to power these or would I be better off with something like a zero dac. At the moment the xbox's RCA's are being converted to 1/4" jacks, would an amp with optical input be that much better?

I'm looking for a good soundstage for gaming and movies. I enjoy music on my 595's so if the new setup doesn't work for music that well I wouldn't be too bothered. I do use the firebox and 595's for music production though so they'll probably stick around.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 27
Thank you, and amazingly quick reply!

I knew I should have added more information but my mind went blank about what to add!

Music:
The music I MAINLY listen to is metal, not your run of the mill, 'loud as it goes' metal though, there's a lot of detail, dynamics and subtleties that I enjoy listening to (bands like Hacride, Sybreed and definitely TesseracT to those interested). I do also listen to other genres, classical as well as a lot of film scores.

Gaming:
Most of the games I play are FPS's. I do play some other games but my primary concern here is for FPS's.

Budget:
I do have a budget, the 701's seem to sit at the right price (though I've just found out theres some 702's?). I'll probably buy in stages though, so maybe a new dac/amp first then headphones next month, or the other way around if the firebox is ok for now. I'd say £150 for the dac/amp and £200ish for the headphones.

edit: thats pounds not dollars
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #4 of 27
If you dont want to drop money on new headphones.. I believe the Firebox should be okay. It'll definitely be better than coming out of the TV. I'd recommend not looping through the TV if possible. Ie. XBox -> RCA -> Amp -> Headphones.

And if you feel the need to upgrade, thats for you to decide if you need to
tongue.gif
. I'm not too sure about K701's for metal though..
If you do.. sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 27
haha, hmm, the metal that I do enjoy through headphones isn't really all that in your face and aggressive... the song I have on now has a rocking bass line, groovy drums with a saxophone taking the lead! but its still classed as metal I guess
biggrin.gif

I'm pretty sure the output from the firebox is clean, and neutral enough for mixing and production work. I'm just wondering if it will limit my soundstage and experience outside of music production...

At the moment I'm thinking, keep the PC > firebox > HD595 stage for production and some music, and create a new Xbox/PC(Games) > some kind of dac > k701's for gaming and occasional music.

I'm unsure of how much better a dedicated headphone amp will be compared to my firebox, would it be worth it with my budget?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIR...

I suggest first considering the AD700 IF you're OK with most likely finding it "bass light". Then after hearing it, consider what to do next.

I can't imaging the K701 being a good purchase for you.

Hmm, the reason I considered the K701's was due to this post...

Ultimate Gaming headphone guide.

If its supposed to be good for gaming I'd assume its good for movies too, this is my primary concern for this purchase... to find something which suits music too would be nice but theres no reason I can't have two audio chains right
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 27
I use ATH-AD700 for gaming and used to use it for metal. I found it fine, fantastic at the time. Until I tried Grado's
tongue.gif
. I would say AD700 or DT880.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use ATH-AD700 for gaming and used to use it for metal. I found it fine, fantastic at the time. Until I tried Grado's
tongue.gif
. I would say AD700 or DT880.

Thanks... what dac/amp were you using with them?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #10 of 27
I use my X-Fi Elite Pro but have a Zero DAC/AMP right now too. Cannot help you in that section too much for gaming though, sorry.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #11 of 27
FWIR...

My guess is you'd be better off with a gaming sound card + AD700 for FPS gaming.

Staying with the HD595 which works for you with production and music makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psy-Blade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At the moment I'm thinking, keep the PC > firebox > HD595 stage for production and some music, and create a new Xbox/PC(Games) > some kind of dac > k701's for gaming and occasional music.

Right, but the AD700 has 4 stars, and the K701 has 3 stars.

And there's no reason to assume X headphones that are preferred for gaming would be preferred for movies. You may very well prefer your HD595 for movies.

I still say your best move is to first get the AD700 and go from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psy-Blade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, the reason I considered the K701's was due to this post...

Ultimate Gaming headphone guide.

If its supposed to be good for gaming I'd assume its good for movies too, this is my primary concern for this purchase... to find something which suits music too would be nice but theres no reason I can't have two audio chains right
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 27
Oops, I had it in my head that the 701's were 5 stars, turns out thats the DT880.

Ok so i think I'll pick up either the DT880 or the AD700 first, see how that turns out, then pester you guys about the next stage... soundcard/dac/amps haha.

Thank you guys for the suggestions... *checks out the aforementioned two headphones.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #13 of 27
AD700 fantastic with X-Fi Elite Pro. Absolute perfect for gaming. If you need more bass, you can do that with software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back