What to do? Serious help needed! (work related)
May 10, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #16 of 42
When you have people to take care its almost impossible to quit because you never know when something might happen. But if you're really important then you might just be able to take some unpaid time off to go to all the interviews and tests that you need to. So like the others said, if you can find work quickly then you might not have to come back after the unpaid pto. If you're the best in your group and its not easy finding someone to replace you then they might go for it as long as you don't tell them the job search stuff. It cost money to let someone go and then hire new since HR and super/manager are involved so if they find it economical to let a good employee take unpaid pto then they would do it. Good luck.

May 10, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 42
It sounds like you've got only two questions: how much of a safety net do you need to save up for before you quit, and what's the best way between here and there? The first question only you and your girlfriend can answer. The second question could be: lean and mean; trim your budget, make as much extra money as you can, and get out of there quickly. Or, it could be: lighten up on your debtors, not for their sake but for your own sanity; doing so might decrease your paycheck, meaning it will take longer to get out of there, but your time there won't be so bad.

May 10, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #18 of 42
yikes, that sounds horrible. maybe you could set up a $$ safety net (as wiser posters have suggested) THEN start an active job search. i do not know the laws in canada, but termination for doing a job search sounds wrongful to me. here is the states that would probably be at least grounds to collect unemployment insurance, or at most a lawsuit.

May 10, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #19 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yikes, that sounds horrible. maybe you could set up a $$ safety net (as wiser posters have suggested) THEN start an active job search. i do not know the laws in canada, but termination for doing a job search sounds wrongful to me. here is the states that would probably be at least grounds to collect unemployment insurance, or at most a lawsuit.

All states in the US practice at-will employment and your employer can pretty much fire you at any time for any reason. (Excepting discrimination and anything that would violate a contract of course.) Job hunting is more than enough of a reason for termination.

Realistically, you only have two options. Save up enough money for a month or two of float, then quit and go job hunting. Or, keep working until next year and use your leave time for job hunting.

May 10, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All states in the US practice at-will employment and your employer can pretty much fire you at any time for any reason. (Excepting discrimination and anything that would violate a contract of course.) Job hunting is more than enough of a reason for termination.

The flip-side to this being it was made illegal to engage in indentured servitude. I'll take "firing on a whim" over "You can't go home....ever".

May 10, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #21 of 42
Sounds terrible, dude.

May 10, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 42
Begin networking. Do you have a professional trade organization you can join? The more people you know, the easier it is to find work. Plan on at least 6 months. Also, does your employer reimburse you for education expenses? It would be the perfect time to build your skills, pad your resume, meet people, and look good to your employer all at the same time.

I highly recommend the book "What Color is Your Parachute?" Start the process...search online, ask for phone interviews before agreeing to face-to-face interviews. If you start now, by the time you are ready to interview, you will have enough vacation built up. Thoroughly research companies you are interested in. Interview during lunch. Do a little weekend work or part time contract work. You will meet new people and if they like you, you will find work.

May 10, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 42
*Update*

I went to work and had a one on one with my manager. I let him know that I need time off twice next week and was refused, for all of the reasons I listed in my first post. My manager is not a bad person. In fact we get on quite well. He said that if there was any way that he could accomodate me he would, but what I was asking for was not possible. I let him know that I could not accept that answer and that I was painted into a corner.

So I quit. Not in a dramatic, fist pounding fashion, I just let him know that I couldn't continue on with the company. I thanked him for his support and let him know that I enjoyed working with him and left. He was sorry to see me go, but understood my position.

So...I guess wish me luck. I am scared, but confident that I made the right choice. The only choice really.

I guess I was not clear on our financial situation in my first post. My girlfriend makes good money. More than enough to keep us afloat for a couple of months. It is just a hardship that I did not want us to have to endure, not to mention the extra stress it places on her, being the sole bread winner. My loss of our benefits is where it will hurt the most.

May 10, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #25 of 42
Brave man! I'm sure all will work out well -- congratulations and start hunting!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 42
That sounds like the way I quit my job that I had at a call centre. Like I said, I will never work at another one but didn't want to burn bridges when it came to references. As scared as you may be you feel good about it right? I mean, you don't have to work a crap job any more...congrats! Good luck with finding a better one...

May 11, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #29 of 42
Well done Squeek! Welcome to your new life! Now don't spend all day head-fi'ing like I would ok!

And don't settle for anything but your dream job either or you will be stuck there for ever hating it too.

Make sure you get something you will be happy with.

Good luck!

May 11, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This years raise? 1%. That's right...1%. Not even the rate of inflation from one year to the next. The reasoning for the slap in the face? I got 9% last year and am the highest paid on my team. An effort to equalise the payscale.?

That's normal in professional jobs. There's typically a band. Get too high up on it, or too high in comparison to your co-workers, and the raises stop or go down.

Quote:

They refuse to give references, neither personal nor professional. They will only acknowledge that I worked there and my position held.

Also normal...no one wants to be sued. It's not about holding back references.

Quote:

They scaled back our benefits. I am paying more, for less coverage.

Not uncommon nowadays. Unfortunately.

Just to give the company a fair shake, none of those are unusual or necessarily antagonistic.

Good move leaving though. I suppose you could have had them let you go to get the unemployment, but it sounds like you really needed to get out of there. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back