What to do in Boston for 1 day?
Mar 26, 2007 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, my bestfriend are coming to US and we're planning to do some driving here around Northeast. My plan is to drive early in the morning from Philly straight to Boston and then continue to Buffalo, NY (Niagara Falls) I'm wondering will it be worth it to stay one day in Boston or should we just spend around 6 hours in Boston and then continue our trip to Niagara Falls?

Since it will be our first time in Boston, can you guys recommend me what to do in Boston for 6 hours or 1 day (if we decided to stay and continue to Niagara falls on the next day)? Any suggestion for budget accomodation? Any famous local food joint? Thank's guys.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 23
Phily to Boston is 5.5 hours. Boston to Buffalo is 7.5 hours and that's moving right along.

Of course that does not count any time in arriving at your destination once you reach the city. At a minimum, add another 45 minutes to your drive to reach a downtown Boston destination. Lot's to see in Beantown and Cambridge. Must eat at No Name Restaurant (seafood and it's a landmark), Faneuil Hall, go on the Freedom Walk, see Newberry Street, Harvard, MIT, Fenway Park, Eat at Redbones, and hook up with some hotties at the local college bars.

The American side of the falls is not worth seeing, it is the Canadian side that you see in all of the photos of the Falls and the only side worth visiting.

You will need to show either a U.S. passport or other proof of U.S. citizenship - such as an original or certified birth certificate together with photo identification to enter Canada.

Passports are not required in Boston. BTW why are you going thru Boston to get to Buffalo?

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 23
Places to go... Faneuil Hall, MFA (for people who like art), Prudential Center, Newberry Street, and I dont know where you should eat, I usually eat in Chinatown at the China Pearl or that new place at Beach and Lincoln. I really like the place at Beach and Lincoln, its a bit cheaper and I like the dim sum there.

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 23
Not sure what your budget is if you decide to stay overnight, but a more reasonable place that is convenient to the city is the Constitution Inn in the Navy Yard in Charlestown. It's not in the city but is very convenient by foot if you are up for a walk or by ferry across Boston Harbor for $1.75 one way and takes about 10 minutes. The water shuttle leaves from the navy yard and goes to Long Wharf on Boston's waterfront by aquarium, across from Quincy Market, and close to the North End, Government Center and the Financial District. There's a great view of the city from the Harbor as well so that's an added bonus.

There's also a free Mass General Shuttle that leaves from the Navy Yard and has several stops in Boston at various points of the MGH campus. This can get you to North Station where the TD Banknorth Garden is as well as to the MGH/Charles Street Stop on the Red Line of the T which goes to Cambridge (Harvard Square, etc.)

The USS Constitution is in the Navy Yard and the Bunker Hill Monument is close by in Charlestown as well.

I'm not sure what the room rates are but I know they are more affordable than a lot of other places, even those a little more outside the city.

Here is the link:
http://constitutioninn.org/

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 23
I stayed at the Constitution Inn a few years ago. x2 that recommendation! Their rates have gone up a bit I see: it now starts at $175 if you're non military. But since they're a YMCA hotel, they're going to be cheaper then most chains: the rooms are nice and large, and pretty quiet. It's also not hard to walk to the North Station subway stop.

There's so much to do in Boston, that it's hard to say what to do in a day or two
icon10.gif
If you like beer....they have some beer places: Harvard Sq has John Harvards. There's authentic Irish pubs off of Freedom Trail. If you just have 6 hours....I'd definitely just say walk freedom trail and stop at places that interest you. If you like tourist things to do, the MFA and Isabella Stewart Gardener art museums, Boston Aquarium, US Constitution, or the "duck" water tours are all things to do.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 23
Best thing to do in Boston is to jump in your car and drive to NYC.

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 23
The restaurant The Miracle of Science in Cambridge is an excellent choice if you want to stop and eat.
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 23
Boston is great, and IMO much better than New York ******, especially if you value fresh air, green grass, and clear skies in addition to the city life.

Fanuel Hall, Harvard Square, Newbury Street, Quincy Market, Coolidge Corner, All Very Nice.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Phily to Boston is 5.5 hours. Boston to Buffalo is 7.5 hours and that's moving right along.

The American side of the falls is not worth seeing, it is the Canadian side that you see in all of the photos of the Falls and the only side worth visiting.

You will need to show either a U.S. passport or other proof of U.S. citizenship - such as an original or certified birth certificate together with photo identification to enter Canada.

Passports are not required in Boston. BTW why are you going thru Boston to get to Buffalo?

Boston & Niagara falls are the furthest place we want to visit from Philly so I prefer for both of them in one route instead of going to each place separately. Unfortunately my friend doesn't have enough time to apply for canada visa so we'll stuck in American side.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best thing to do in Boston is to jump in your car and drive to NYC.

eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Since we're probably going in Boston either saturday or sunday, will it be easier to get parking space in the city? I prefer to get where those duck tours are stopping and going to that places by our car.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we're probably going in Boston either saturday or sunday, will it be easier to get parking space in the city? I prefer to get where those duck tours are stopping and going to that places by our car.

Parking is both expensive and hard to find downtown. IMO, it's cheaper and easier just to park at a subway terminal. You've got all places downtown covered, as well as the highlights of Cambridge.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Parking is both expensive and hard to find downtown. IMO, it's cheaper and easier just to park at a subway terminal. You've got all places downtown covered, as well as the highlights of Cambridge.

Thank's, do you have any subway terminal suggestion which is close to the city and safe for parking?

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Boston & Niagara falls are the furthest place we want to visit from Philly so I prefer for both of them in one route instead of going to each place separately. Unfortunately my friend doesn't have enough time to apply for canada visa so we'll stuck in American side.

eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

If you want to take the Duck tour, park in the Prudential garage. Costs about $22 for a day. Duck boats leave from there. No problem with finding a space.

You are also near Newberry street, lots of girls are there on the weekend. Be sure to go to Johnny Cupcakes and get a Tee-Shirt.

Warning, Boston days in March, as I remember, are barely in the 50's now and nights are in the 30's - Dress appropriately

cupcakes.jpg

Prudential garage - mass pike into the city and get off at Copley Place / Prudential Center and take the Pru center exit. Parking garage is on your right when you exit.

Mar 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Thank's, do you have any subway terminal suggestion which is close to the city and safe for parking?

Don't know which direction you're coming from, but all the terminal stations have big parking decks (for all the commuters). They're all safe. Parking is $3-$5: gives you plenty more cash to spend for going all over the place downtown
wink.gif
icon10.gif

http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back