What to do if you are in terrible pain and your doctor does nothing?
Mar 21, 2007 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

sebastian589

500+ Head-Fier
Over the weekend I started noticing a real sore throat, and after getting almost no sleep the last two nights I went to see a doctor this morning. I told the doctor of my sore throat and how there was only one other instance when I had experienced a sore throat such as this. I told him that I didn't mind my broken ankle nearly as much as this throat ache, that I am very tolerant of colds and pain, and avoid medications whenever possible. After doing a blood test and throat culture he determined I didn't have a bacterial infection and did not have Strep throat.

However as mentioned above there was another time when my throat was in this much pain. Last summer I had a sore throat almost exactly the same as this one, head and shoulders above any other sore throat I had previously experienced (and trust me you get some bad ones floating around Minnesota public schools in the winter time). In that instance the doctor followed routine, administered throat culture etc. he guessed it was just a bad virus and I should give it time. A week after that appointment the pain was worse so I scheduled a second checkup. After doing multiple tests Doctor Robert determined it was Strep G, a different strand of streptococcus that doesn't show up on the normal strep culture tests. After three days on prescription the pain was almost gone, and the pain had completely subsided by the time I had emptied the bottle.

Twice today I told the doctor what happened last summer, and I did my best to let him know what I was going through, yet he insisted I wait 5 days to see if the pain goes away. Problem is schools is getting hectic and I need to be able to concentrate on school and get good rest to keep the grades up. I am on 1200 mg of ibuprofen and I still tear up every time I swallow, I can make my tonsils touch by simply opening my mouth, and to top it off both ear canals are beginning to feel plugged. I hate to be a complainer/whiner but nothing is helping and I feel like my last hope in alleviating the pain was the doctor.

I am frustrated and don't know what to do, any suggestions?

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #3 of 30
Pain, especially chronic pain, is not an area where allopathic medicine shines. Eat lots of yogurt. Look into homeopathic medicines.

"Get a second opinion." "OK, you're crazy too!" [wink]

Laz

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 30
nvm, not right for the job
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 30
frozen foods seem to help me sometimes, to almost freeze the throat, but its a quick fix of course.

Try throat drops. Not the Halls, and other crap products. Get the anesthetic one's that numb your throat. Take 3 or 4 at a time, it will feel better? but you will be tired, and have no energy

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #6 of 30
Drink whiskey straight, for medicinal purposes; the high alcohol content will kill the germs and numb the pain in the throat.

For another solution, try the Cepacol sore throat spray, it has a local anethstetic that will sooth the pain and give you minty fresh breath.

There are lozenges that you can get that have anesthetic in them too. I find these help a lot in these situations too.

Essentially any product that will locally anesthetize the throat area will get the job done.

As a fellow Minnesota resident, I feel your pain, well, almost...

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #10 of 30
Doctors are getting to be quite reluctant to prescribe painkillers these days, for fear of people either getting addicted or reselling them. I'm sure this is even more true for high school/college age people. There has been at least one thread about this before (if you do a search, I think Redshifter had some really good comments IIRC). Given that, asking you to wait a couple days probably isn't that out of the ordinary, but you can always get a second opinion. Sounds like it's warranted here.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 30
I would just visit my local hospital.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Drink whiskey straight, for medicinal purposes; the high alcohol content will kill the germs and numb the pain in the throat.

Alcohol also slows down healing, which is why you aren't encouraged to drink when you have fresh lip or tongue piercings I believe..?

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #14 of 30
Magic Mouthwash. Sort of a stronger sore throat spray. (chloraseptic etc.)
A mix of lidocaine, maalox and benadryl. some places w/o the benadryl.
this thing really really numbs your throat so you can eat.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #15 of 30
If your throat hurts that much, and it has lasted at least three days, see another physician. In the meantime, there is a home remedy that will speed up your healing. Not just a homeopathic remedy, but doctor recommended.

Take All One (1x) Per Day:
2-Folic Acid (400mcg)
1-Vitamin E (400iu)
1-Echinacea
1-Bayer Aspirin (81mg Only)

Additional:
Nutrbiotic Grapefruit Seed (NOT GRAPE SEED) Extract - Found to contain "natural" antibiotic properties by a doctor and researcher.
Echinacea - Proven to reduce time of illness but not prevent illness.

The latter two I get in liquid form and add a few drops to tea, juice or whatever I am drinking. You can also get tablets, capsules, etc,. If you use the liquid forms, try to use at least 5-15 drops of Nutribiotic per 8oz of drink. It can be bitter, so add to taste. I find it virtually impossible to taste 15 drops in an 8-10oz glass of O.J. but much harsher in green tea.

Both my husband and I have used these with good success. My husband is a diabetic and must use caution with regular medications. I am just a no-drug freak, I even hate taking aspirin. While these come physician recommended, and I no of no one having any ill effects, use caution, especially if you have never taken any of these before. And do not overdo anything! None of these should be harmful in anyway, but you never know what allergies yet lurk in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back