What to do? I need advice
Dec 27, 2002 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ismala

New Head-Fier
Hello

I am thinking on upgrade my PCDP.

I have been thinking, talking with friends and reading a lot in Internet.

Finally, i am considering two options:

1) MD Sony MZ-N1
2) Apple Ipod for PC

I don't know wath to do, i need advice please.

I listen 70% rock, hard rock, metal,... and 30% hip-hop, electronica and others.

My music collection is: near 350 CDs and 15 mp3 Gb.

Minidisc are very small, easy to portable, good sound and the batery goes a lot of time.

On the other hand, on Ipod or aothers mp3 hard disk players i can take a lot of music, and music has not to be recorded to other support like blank minidisc.

I am try to choose, but i would like that people helps to choose and give me advice.

Thanks a lot, I wait your posts

P.D: Sorry for my poor english but i am from Spain, and we haven't here any page like this, it's incredible!!

Dec 31, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmmm, it's a tough choice..

350 CD's.. that's a lot (to me).
An MD has unlimited storage capacity (well, limited to the size of your wallet), whereas the iPod has 20 gigs.

I'd go the MD route.

Argh, i'm tired, if I remember i'll post again later..

Dec 31, 2002 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 19
mp3s are more convenient than using an md player, in my opinion. if you really want convenience you have to get a desktop md recorder. for an ipod, all's you need is a computer and some time to rip songs. i'd say go with the ipod, but that may be because i want one too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 19
It all boils down to another question: do you need the added benefits that Minidisc has to offer ? For instance would you care for recording live shows ? Do you need something to record lectures with ?.

The iPod seems like the unit to get if what you are into are MP3s and nothing else. However Minidisc allows you to record in SP (realtime) using an optical connection directly from the source. Also the quality of LP2 greatly exceeds that of the typical 192kbps encoded MP3.

Both have pros and cons. For me Minidisc is the way to go, I have quite a bit of MP3s encoded and ripped by me, and even though OpenMG is the most horrendous piece of software ever written you can use the alternate ways to transfer your MP3s to minidiscs.

Anyhow.

Regards,

Dec 31, 2002 at 9:09 PM Post #7 of 19
I was looking at that pile of 350 CDs rather than the 15 gig of .mp3s
biggrin.gif

Maybe it's just my experiences with computers, but.. I prefer just directly ripping the CD to MD, even if it is real time..

Dec 31, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 19
I agree with grinch. To me the ipod is a more convenient machine. If you need to make recordings on the fly to me there is a better option out there (NJB3).

It really boils down to your needs as far as how you'll be using it.

Jan 1, 2003 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 19
My whole point for buying my MP3 player (an NJB3) was to have to avoid carrying all that crap around. Just the mp3 player, my Etys, and my amp (might leave the amp at home depending on how i'm feeling).

350 CDs???? I haven't used minidisks, but I think you'd have to carry a LOT of MDs around to carry that with you. A 20GB Ipod could probably hold all of those (unless you rip at 320Kbps). Stick a CD in, run a DAE program, swap CDs, run DAE again.... Do that 350 times, and then x-fer it all to the ipod across its fast firewire interface. All that crap on taht little mp3 player as opposed to 350 minidisks.

If you don't mind the pricetag, get the ipod.

Jan 1, 2003 at 4:20 PM Post #11 of 19
If my math is right, a minidisc holds 5 hours at the highest compression, 300 minutes, with probally an average of 65 minutes on each cd, 4.6 cds on each minidisc or 78 minidisc to carry all 350 cds with you... got a duffel bag?

Jan 1, 2003 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 19
Thanks for the posts, really help me.
Now i am

I am agree that i have a lot of music to carry it all with minidisc, but except when i go travelling (holidays), i will not use the portable for more than 2-3 hours.

For 2-3 hours, one or two minidisc will be sufficient, besides i could use MDLP function.
Also the minidisc are rewritable, making recordings some days i think 10-15 minidisc could be suffcient.

I will not going to use it to record live shows, but i like that minidisc could be conected to other sources, i have a home hi-fi estero with an optical/digtal out, and though the sound qualiity will not be perfect i like the idea of record to my MD my old vinyls and some radio nocturne programs.

Besides, on MD battery lifes goes a lot on.

I think i will go to a MD sony mz-n1, is a good device?
i have heard that net md software is very bad, and depends on what you want to do,is necessary to use diferent programas to transfer mp3 to MD, but i have read in a spanish minidisc forum that there good solutions for that.

¿ is the software so bad?
¿is the recording process too slow or teidous?

Thanks to all the people, and sorry for my english

Jan 1, 2003 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 19
Recording from a cd player is real time. As for that N1 I got an email from an ebay user this morning selling the N1 for 225 dollars. I could give you the link if you wanted. I think the N1 usually goes for 300 doesn't it?

Jan 1, 2003 at 10:21 PM Post #14 of 19
The Minidisc option is very compact, quite stylish and handy. I got into MD a long time ago and I've intested too much in it to move away quickly but if I had the choice now 'from scratch' I might go the HD player route. It just takes too long to get your stuff onto MD, and this new NetMD method was a nightmare to use... I don't bother to use it anymore on my MZ-N707.
Compared to that, the iPod (friend has one) is a DREAM in all respects.

Jan 2, 2003 at 8:22 AM Post #15 of 19
I use minidiscs and a couple of hard drive portables.

If your hard drive IPOD dies, so does your music. But if you loaded it from something else, you are ok. Just a lot of time needed to reload.

With Minidiscs, if your player dies, you still have the discs.

With a hard drive player you can carry hundreds of albums in your hand. With a MD player you have to pay for hundreds of disks, then carry a subset of them around, as 350 minidisks take up a lot of space.

As far as batteries toes, well, my newest minidisk plays 32 hours on one AA battery. I can carry a lot of aa batteries around.

If your HD based player battery goes dead. You have no music until it recharges. Sometimes hard to recharge in a car or plane or in the middle of nowhere.

I use a Treo 10 and Nomad Jukebox 3. Both have their uses.
I have spare batteries for both. Both are user replacable batteries. How about the IPOD? Batteries only last so long.
I brought home a RIO RIOT once, and it had a non removable battery. Given my experience with this type of battery and RIO brand it went back immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back