What to do from here(CD Player vs Dac)
Apr 24, 2010 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Shark50521

100+ Head-Fier
I recently sold my Constantine+ as I have found myself not using my headphones with my computer and only with my cd player/x-head. I liked the Constantine with my AV40's but I couldn't justify keeping it just for those speakers. My question is would I be better off regrouping and getting a dac to put between my cd player and my amp, or would I be better off getting a new cd player. I currently have a 5 disc sony changer, I can't think of the model #, but I think it sounds pretty good as it is. My budget for my new cd player or dac would be 250-300. I just don't know if I'd get more bang for my buck going to a new CD player or a new Dac and that is where I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Apr 24, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 8
I think you'd be better suited by a DAC.
Most of the new releases have both SPDIF and USB inputs, so you'll have the liberty of using it with both cd-player and PC whenever you like.

Also you'll have more chances of finding a good sounding DAC bellow 300$, than you would a new cd-player.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 8
Yes CD player as transport. I only use my Little Dot transport because I got it used for very cheap, and it looks nice with my other gear. I don't think the sound is any different from the older Toshiba player I was using before. Unless you have some $50 DVD player, everything should sound the same in transport world.

Apr 25, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ishmael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes CD player as transport. I only use my Little Dot transport because I got it used for very cheap, and it looks nice with my other gear. I don't think the sound is any different from the older Toshiba player I was using before. Unless you have some $50 DVD player, everything should sound the same in transport world.

beg to differ, transports can sound world apart, in my experiences. Anyway, this is not to start yet another "1 is 1, 0 is 0" debate thread. I just ask to keep things open, and keep on experimenting in the name of fun, within budget of course.

Apr 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #7 of 8
I have Technics SL-MC7 110 cd changer. I bought it for $150 in 1998. I recently introduced MHDT havana in between the cd changer and the preamp. Now the Music comming out of my system is with full of life. It has dramatically changed the music I listen to. Now I see what I missed all these days.

Remember the speakers should better be highly resolving speakers. Interconnects too play a significant part depending on the DAC you are going to own.

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #8 of 8
I just sold a dac similar in some ways to the Havana, so I don't think I am interested in going that direction. And interconnects play a role if you believe in cable magic, but I am not going to get into that debate. The speakers I have are AV40's, just M-audio active monitors, I don't know if they are highly resolving, but they sound good to my ears till I upgrade to some better desktop monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back