What to do buy new headphones or buy a amp+DAC?
Nov 15, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, wouldn't recommend the Keces 151; it's a wall-powered AlienDAC coupled with half-assed film caps to a CMOY in front of it.

Well, I don't think the description is accurate about DA-151, as the power supply circuit is much more complicated than that. As for the film cap, we actually tried several different caps, with both measurement and auditions, the line up includes EVOX RIFA MMK, ERO film caps (can't remember the model, as it was a while back) and several others, the one left was the best performer of the bunch. Yes, we could fit stuff like ultra-expensive film or even silver foil caps on it, but that would cause the price of the unit to skyrocket by quite a bit without having a similar increase in performance.

As for the op amp circuit, I'd say it is not CMOY, it is NOT intended to be so, and it is not. It is a op amp based low pass filter designed to filter out the high frequency noises that is naturally present with DACs.

I'm quite open to questions regarding to the products that I carry, if you have any doubts or questions about it, please let me know.

Thanks.

Nov 15, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 20
You would have to find your exact model of sound card and check to see if it has spdif out capability. If it does, you could buy something like Zhaolu D2.5C DAC & Headphone Amp NEW with digital coax in.

I just looked and it says spdif out is only for windows xp and vista 32bit. So if you use a different os this won't work. The cable/adapter you need for spdif out is only like 15 bucks.

Parts Express:RCA Jack To 3.5mm Mono Plug Adapter
Parts Expressayton CDC-6 Coaxial Digital Cable 6 ft.

Or maybe something like http://www.obadimports.com/catalog/i...55/5226912.htm and then buy a value/used amp separate.

Nov 15, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 20
You can pretty much have it all within your budget (200 - 300, closer to 200) with the iBasso D3. It takes USB from a PC, and contains both a USB DAC and Amp. The DAC inside the D3 has been compared favorably with the Headroom Ultra Micro DAC (which I own and LOVE) and folks whose ears I trust have posted that they enjoy the sound quality of its amp better than the SR-71A (which I own and LOVE). There are a number of threads about the iBasso D3 which you might want to have a look at. It would be a very nice upgrade of both your source and amp which you'll definitely be able to hear and very much enjoy through the SR-125's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back