What to do against loud snoring?
Apr 11, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the title says, what do you guys (and girls) do against snoring too loudly yourselves?

Best defense is staying as lean as possible. I've never known a snorer that didn't have plenty of doughnut oil around the throat area.

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akathriel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only real downside is looking like a screwing fighter pilot.

That's a downside to a 16-year old? Just think of the dreams!

"Too close for missles, I'm switching to guns. "

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #19 of 23
I've tried the breathe-right strips, sprays, special pillows, and different sleeping positions. So far only one thing has worked, losing weight. I'm usually a bit on the heavy side, but occasionally try to drop a few pounds. When I'm thinner, the snoring goes away, or at least goes down to a manageable level.

Since I'm the snorer in the household, I usually just let my wife go to sleep a little bit before I do. Once she's out, I can safely fall asleep without keeping her up.

She's got very sensitive ear canals, so plugs won't work for her.

good luck.

-Jeff

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #20 of 23
Punch them in the back of the head!

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a downside to a 16-year old? Just think of the dreams!

"Too close for missles, I'm switching to guns. "

HaHaHAHA!

I just hurt my chem grade with a less than spectacular performance on a test, and this cheered me up I am forever in your debt

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 23
Obstructive sleep apnea has only really been recognized and studied for the past 15 years or so. This is a widespread and often undiagnosed condition, the most common presentation being snoring (which the snorer might not even be aware of).

The Dx is made by a sleep study in a sleep lab (expensive), but can be made by other means.

Treatment includes weight loss, etc, but often needs CPAP. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for everyone, and radical surgical procedures are sometimes needed.

This is actually very important to Dx and Rx...Sleep apnea does more than just make you sleepy the next day...It is associated with hormonal abnormalities including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, sexual dysfunction, and other conditions. Check out:

http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/apnea.html

NC, M.D.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HaHaHAHA!

I just hurt my chem grade with a less than spectacular performance on a test, and this cheered me up I am forever in your debt

You're welcome. Now go buy me an Orpheus.

On a snore-related note... I was made to move downstairs so everyone else in the house can sleep.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back