what to choose!?!?!
Apr 7, 2010 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

kaneman890

Head-Fier
im looking to get a new pair of over the ear headphones in the $100 range +/- $30 if from crutchfield. and im kinda new to headphones and what to look for. i listen to mostly pretty heavy metal, so im looking for something that handles loud double bass and heavy riffs
L3000.gif

here is what i've come up with:
-SENNHEISER HD280 / hd448 seem like they are good, but what is the difference between them?
-M-Audio Q40
-Denon AH-D1000.

any and all help is appreciated.

and i am pretty good with electronics and the mechanics of things from building computers and cars, so if someone could just explain what to look for and what things do that would help to

Thanks, Kane

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by juanharu4913 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my k518's for rock/metal/hip hop
Cords a little short, Id buy an extender.

i was looking and found alot of positive stuff on those, how durable are those? they look a little thin to me and ill probably be carrying them around alot.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 24
From what i know the sennheisers 448 are used more for bassy music, if you are a bassyhead...go for them.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kaneman890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i listen to mostly pretty heavy metal, so im looking for something that handles loud double bass and heavy riffs

Grados are meant for rock! SR60 is pretty nice headphone to start.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x2

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VALIENTE /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They rock on metal also! Great cans with balanced mids.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 24
from what i see the sr60 is open air which means that is will let alot of sound out right? if so i cant do that
frown.gif
and they seem really nice but im going to be using them at school and can t really have everyone in the room hear me. Is there an equivalent to them that isnt open air?? and please correct me if i dont have the open air thing right

thanks for more replies, keep em coming

oh and whats a good website to buy headphones from??

Apr 9, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 24
There's only one choice for $100:

[size=medium]The Audio-Technica ATH-M50. [/size]

Straight cable version, which I like better, is the M50S. Amazon has both for $105 + Free Shipping.

OK, there are other choices before the crew beats me up.
atsmile.gif

But for metal, which is my primary listening style, the M50 DESTROYS ALL COMERS. Which is what a metal can should do.
evil_smiley.gif
(It is also great for Trance). The bass will smack you down, and that's just the beginning of what these cans can do for the price. It is also easily resellable due to its reputation, for when you want to upgrade. There just really isn't any competition at that price range for closed cans - period.

I had a friend bring over his Grado RS60, which was great, but the M50 just beat it hands down in comfort, quality of construction, bass, sound isolation (it's a closed can) and of course, sound. He ended up buying my M50S on the spot! (I got a new can, see below).

I agree Grado is great for rock, but if you want to go with the Grado, I'd say just spend $30 and get a Koss PortaPro instead, which sounds and fits very similar, as I think most here would agree. I liked the Grado, but couldn't see spending twice the price for a portable unit that basically sounded the same to me. Better to go cheap at that point and save up for something better in addition, IMHO.

If you want an improvement in quality, get the Denon D2000. But even used you're looking at twice the price: $200. However if you like the M50 and ever want to improve it, as I did, the D2000 is definitely the next step.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back