What to buy with $300-400
Dec 21, 2005 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

geforcewong

100+ Head-Fier
Hi I was wondering what I should get given my current home setup:

Audigy -> HD600

Very simple and lame setup, but hey, I'm short on cash due to a video ipod and er6i's I purchased a month ago. I'm looking into getting a speaker setup for my computer, but avoiding multimedia types like Klipsch, Logitech, Creative, etc.

The plan:
-Mission m31i speakers ($120 at Amazon)
-Sonic Impact T-amp or Super T-amp II ($30 or $140)
Will the above work and plug into my audigy properly with some cheap ratshack cables, or would I need some kind of receiver which would make me even more broke?

or...

Plan B:
-M-audio audiophile firewire ($140)
-M-audio StudioPro 4 monitors ($150)

I think the frequency response of the speakers are a little better than the monitors by 5 Hz on the low end.

Everyone here says the audigy is horrible but I don't find it that bad on my HD600, so would the mission speakers sound good on it?

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 6
I am not sure about the cables myself, but if the speakers use RCA, then I think it is possible as I managed to connect a pair of active speakers from my onboard.

I think you can buy the speakers (50% off looks to be a killer deal!), connect them to Audigy, and if it sounds good to your ears, why not just keep the card.
biggrin.gif
It is decent for gaming that is as far as I know.

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Speaker should be just as clear and accurate as nearfield monitors right? Or do monitor speakers reveal more details in the music? Getting regular speakers will also be cool because I can hook it up to my home theater system anytime I feel like it.

Dec 23, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #4 of 6
you know what is interesting? while these are definetly sexy speakers altec lansing set, mx5021, has better frequency responce. (while the low 30 hz range comes from the subwoofer, there is a 2khz advantage in the top, and both have tweeters...)

i cannot compare their sounds, but just curious, how come.
(mx5021 is a nice sounding set of speakers, even though i can only compare to the mainstream klipsch/logitech systems which i dislike)

Dec 23, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 6
A bit off topic, but your doing those 600's a great injustice without an amp. Get even a cheap Go Vibe, Cmoy, or PAV2 and your desire to get speakers might disappear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back