what to buy w/ 80$ CDN?
Jan 9, 2002 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HellviS 450

New Head-Fier
I've have 80 bucks to buy a new pair of headphones, those will be the first quality phones i'll buy
are those ksc-35 still a good buy w/ the low value of the canadian dollar, with shipping fee and custom taxes..

also is there any other good choice?
P.S. ill use those phones mainly w/ my pcdp.

Jan 9, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 12
Yeah the ksc35's would probably be a good value, according to how much everyone loves them here at Head-Fi. Another much cheaper alternative is the Koss ksc50 for $30 cdn at A&B Sound. The Koss Sportapro is $67 at A&B. If you want earbuds, the Sennheiser Mx-400 are at Radio Shack for $20 or $25 and the Sony mdr-ex70lp's are at the sony store for $80 cdn.

Just a couple options...I think most people will recommend the ksc-35's for you. Also, go to www.koss.com and ask them how much shipping would cost. I asked them a while ago, and I think it was about $12 or $15 US to get them shipped here...can't remember, you should ask them, because I think it would be cheaper to buy from them than from headroom considering that (last time i checked) it costs about $25 US to ship to canada.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #7 of 12
speaking of the hp550's, why do people like these so much? i tried them out and was very disappointed by the lack of bass (mid and low). the midrange and high frequencies were nice, but these headphones sounded so unbalanced to me due to the lack of bass.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 12
We like them cause they whoop the competition in that style of headphone....

like, compare those to an equally priced thingy from teh MDR-CD### line.

then compare it to an MDR-CD### member that costs about 5x the price....

the Philips might just come out on top....

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 12
lol, i never bothered listening to the mdr-cdxx series specifically because of the overwhelmingly negative opinions people have expressed about these...thanks head-fi'ers for saving my time. man, they must sound terrible if the hp550's kick their butts.

back to the topic at hand, i'll add my vote for the ksc-35's. get 'em...50 people can't all be wrong.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 12
kb_22: And on the flip side of the coin, most of the headphones that have the bass that you crave have NO mids whatsoever - and grainy treble, to boot.

EDIT - you recommend the KSC-35's, don't you? Then I second it - the other Koss mini-headphones that have a 60-ohm impedance, a 15-25,000Hz frequency response, and a 101 or 103 dB @ 1mW sensitivity should sound similar, but the bass loudness will differ due to their fit.

Jan 9, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 12
yes, as others have said many times before me, i've tried the various koss iterations using that driver and the sound definitely changes depending on the configuration (portas, sportas, 50's, 55's, etc) with the 35's being superior in both sound and comfort. though if price is a major issue, go with the 50's or 55's. you can find them both for less than $15 (us) online. using combinations of coupons (that seem to come and go), you can sometimes find the sportas for <$15 as well. if you go with the sporta's, i'd recommend spending the $2.99 on the rad shack 33-377 pads to lessen the impact of the bass a bit (it's still plenty bass heavy).

Jan 10, 2002 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm listening to Rush's "Hemispheres," easily the best example of prog rock ever recorded, with a $20 pair of Sennheiser MX 400 buds. I just got a Sony D-EJ925 pcdp, and the combo seems almost perfect for heavy rock music.

I'm thinking about the Sporta Pros as my "over the head" cans for walking. I have a pair of the very sweet Sony MDRE888's for listening to classical recordings on my MD recorders.

Life can be truly wonderful if you get the right phones!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back