What to buy, replacing Bose Triport (Around Ear style)
May 2, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #16 of 18
The A900 used to be recommended often for gaming in general. I've owned an A900LTD and an AD900. I guess for most gaming, the AD would suffice. For games like WoW(MMORPG's) and mostly non-FPS, I agree, the AD series were better. Much more sense of space, airiness and an expansive soundstage with a more clarity to the sound. However, for me, the bass was a bit on the anemic side compared to the closed A series -- I've found this to be true for FPS gaming, where you'd want to hear the recoil of a gun, explosions, etc. That is not to say they sounded like crap on the AD series, but they hit with a bit more authority on the A series owing to their closed nature.

May 3, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #17 of 18
Thank you for the info. I went out to find a shop to compare the various headphones and to my surprise I couldn't find a shop that sells them.

Being in a 1st world country for so long I took it for granted that I could decide which product I wanted and then buy it. Now being in an ex communist country it's a little different. "In communist Russia we had only 1 type of headphones and if you wanted to buy it, you had to go on the list." I went to all the large electronics stores (tv, audio, video..) and they maxed out at $90 headphones (Sony was the top). After 2 days and 12 taxis (Getting new headphones was an emergency) I found the only audio store with something better than Sony/Phillips and they had AKG k171s and k240 and some other AKG models.

I decided on the k171s over the k240 because the k240 was too airy, I didn't like that extra added low sounding wind behind everything. The k171s are nice but the high range hurts my ears a bit. I wouldn't say they're better than my old Bose Triports, I think the triports sounded better but didn't have the power these do (especially bass). These new ones are good but I wouldn't buy them again and I'll keep them until I have the opportunity to grab one of the better pairs you listed above.

When I commented to someone here on how hard it was to find quality headphones they said people here don't have money so thats why all the headphones are cheap. In affect I was complaining on only being able to spend 2 weeks earnings of someone here ($160) on headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back