What to buy...??? confused...
Oct 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

roksraka

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I'm looking for a pair of full-sized headphones. My budget is about 110 bucks (not a penny more!). I care a lot about the looks, but even more about comfort and performance (still they have to be fancy). I listen to rock, punk and dance (all subcategories). Plus, I want this to be a long-term investment - Skullcandies are nice, but they break in a week...
Any suggestion? please reply!
dt880smile.png

roksraka

Enjoy life, there's plenty of time to be dead!

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 34
Go for the Skullcandies - not a headphone , but a great fashion accessory - after all, you aren't supposed to listen to headphones, they are only meant to be apparel bling.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 34
The next big thing will be really "stylish" headphones that don't even have drivers in them, that way people who want to pay for looks won't have to waste their money on that damn electronic stuff.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 34
Why is everyone recommending SC? This seems like a reasonable request for someone who doesn't know anything about headphones, and its nice to see people looking for better options even if they like the gaudy look of the SC "headphones". To OP, are you looking for on-ear (aka supraaural) headphones, or do you want around-ear (aka circumaural) headphones? Are IEMs an option? Do you want open or closed headphones? What sound characteristics are you looking for (bass, detail, soundstage, etc.)?

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #9 of 34
Again...over-ear, with decent bass (but not the horrible sound of thunder on the skullcandy skullcrushers), preferably closed, but it doesn't matter much to me...crisp sound and bass! thanks for the replies! keep them coming =)

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 34
I have never seen a full size SC headphone, aren't they all portable? For good looks and nice sound in your budget I would say the ES7 fit the bill but they are not full size. For fullsize it depends on what you consider good looking. The Allesandro MS1 sound good and if you like the retro design of the Grado line you would like their looks. Other nice looking phones are the Nuforce UF-30 which are again portable. JVC has the HAS700, HARX500, Sennheiser HD228 (closed) and HD238 (Open) both look very nice and are nice sounding portables. Also there is the Koss UR40, which is over ear, closed and portable and nice looking.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 34
I don't think anything can beat Audio-Technica's ATH-ES7 in terms of looks and design for a headphone under $120 (Amazon have them for less than $100 for months now).. It's closed, fits your bill, but not quite "fullsized".

You might want to try a pair of used Sony MDR-V6, many Head-Fiers started out with this studio monitor.. There's also seem to be a lot of praise for the JVC HA-RX700 and HA-RX900 for under $100.. You might want to check them out.
smily_headphones1.gif

So here's a list..

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Sony MDR-V6
JVC HA-RX700/900
Denon D1001
Sennheiser HD-280

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 34
x2 on the sony mdr-v6... looks good and sound is decent with good bass. i would also get the beyerdynamics velour pads for these

Oct 11, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also seem to be a lot of praise for the JVC HA-RX700 and HA-RX900 for under $100.. You might want to check them out.
smily_headphones1.gif

So here's a list..

Audio-Technica ATH-ES7
Sony MDR-V6
JVC HA-RX700/900
Denon D1001
Sennheiser HD-280

Good list. I'd want to add:
JVC HA DX1 and DX3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back