What to buy - AD700 or ES7
Sep 19, 2007 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ronnielee54

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the upgrade urge and I cannot decide what to get. Iam currently using PX100's with Ipod Video as source and iBasso P1 with LOD for amplification. I really like the PX100's but I want something better. All my files are 228 ACC ripped from CD's. I listen mostly to Rock (Pink Floyd, Stones, Eagles, Lynyard Skynyrd, ect.) and Bles (Buddy Guy, BB King, Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Stevie Ray Vaughn, ect.). No metal or rap at all. Also listen to lots of podcasts.

The area I live in does not afford me the luxury of auditioning cans, so I will have to buy blind. HD595 were my first thought , but I don't want to spend that much on a blind buy. I was able to try some HD580's, but as dumb as it may sound I honestly liked my PX100's better. Might be because they probably have over 1000 hours on them.

I will be using them at work but am not at all concerned with isolation. Main selling point for me is sound quality. Even though I will be wearing them an average of about 6 to 8 hours a day, I have never been bothered by discomfort in any the many cans I have owned, and I have owned some pretty pitiful cans. So I guess all this means that sound quality really is my main priority.

I am mainly interested in the AT ES7 or AD700 because it seems to me they have the fewest bad comments in the $100 +/- range. Also let me state that although I do appreciate some good bass, I don't consider myself a basshead. Help me out here people. ES7 or AD700?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice you may offer.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 12
I've got both the AD700 and the ES7. I like both, and find them both very comfortable. For an office setting I'd recommend the ES7. The AD700 leaks quite a bit and, depending on your office, could be a problem. Although the ES7 is technically a closed headphone - there is not a lot of isolation, but the good news is that it doesn't leak.

As far as sound goes - the AD700 is a bit light on the base. It has very good mid and upper ranges. I find the ES7 to be more balanced, with more low end. For rock I think the ES7 would be better, although the sound from both is very good.

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 12
they are kind of seriously over budget though
frown.gif
shipping to my country is seriously expensive[30$+] and their price is 140$+-, = 170$ minimum when I only got 100$ for shopping right now
smily_headphones1.gif
[Surely I got more but I need to live from something too heh]

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 12
I like the ES7. The mids sound a little bit thin and cold though compared to my MS1, however I like the ES7 more overall. The highs sparkle like a KSC75 and the bass extends really low and has a powerful punch that is addicting as hell. It's also very easy to power. Easier than most IEMs I've tried! Also they have a great soundstage!

I've never heard the AD700 but I'm curious as to how they would compare. I bought my ES7 as an all-around headphone but would've considered the AD700 or AD900 had they not been so big.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #7 of 12
-sorry wrong thread hah I thought this is MY thread-

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 12
I have the ES7s and the AD900s and listen to a lot of blues and blues-rock. It's an easy pick for work with rock: ES7s. Very fun, "easier" to wear (not as comfortable, but much smaller, better looking given the environment, hardier feeling), and they sound great given some time. I love my AD900s for quieter music and HT, but for fun listening to my preferred music, I listen to the ES7s or my Grado 60s. Of those, I'd buy the ES7s for work. If I worked, that is.

Mooch

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 12
They are here!!! Hooked them up and they sounded just okay but man are they beautiful. Hooke them up all night to my backup player (Sandisk E280) and hit play all. This morning I could already tell a difference. Can't wait to get them to work and hook them up to my amped Ipod. Thanks guys for pointing me to these cans. They are going to be sweet. Now all I need to do is upgrade my LOD to an ALO or Moon Audio and then maybe a new amp for Christmas. Oh crap this never going to end is it.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 12
No, its NEVER going to end. Dude, do me a favour, play pink noise on the ES7 for 2~3 days non-stop, then listen to it, then come and PM me and tell me thanks... LOL... you WILL notice the difference.

As it is, you already have the same initial impression of the ES7 I had. The "sounded just okay " impression. Trust me, use pink noise and burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back