What to blame, the music player or the internal DAC?
Jun 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:
So in which price range should I expect external DACs to outperform iPods and iPhones? 

For around $50-$60, you could order a no-name DAC from and made in China, and chances are it has a better DAC chip then the iPod or iPhone.
(No-name stuff from China is a little risky)
But you would also need a headphone amplifier, as the IPod & iPhone do come with a (basic) headphone amp.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:
As long as you use laptop as source, there is no way the sound can be as clear as an ipod or cd player

My experience is different.  Using an outboard DAC with high quality USB interface brought me terrifically improved performance from my laptop.  

Likewise the performance from the iPod can be bettered, IME, by taking the line-out signal and feeding a high quality amp.  YMMV, of course.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:
So you think that instead of buying a $200 external DAC/AMP, I should cough up more cash and get an iPod, assuming I am searching for sound quality and nothing else?

I would think something like the Audioengine D1 external headphone amplifier ($175) would provide audio quality just as good and I'm sure better (from the laptop), then any iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back