What tips for 1964 Adels?
Nov 11, 2015 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mors

100+ Head-Fier
I'm at my wits end. I can hear brilliance in my new U series, BUT, I can't get any sort of seal from them. Whatever tip I try, I get some sort of seal, but if I push in and rotate the IEM a little in my ear I get an amazing sound - I let go and let them go back to their normal fit, and they sound good, but nothing like what I can get if I hold them in and twist a bit. I've tried all the supplied tips, and the ones I've got for my IE8's - no joy with any.
I used to get a great seal with the Comply P-series (long tips) for my SE530's but they don't make them for the wider bore.

What options do I have? Has anyone had this for wide-bore IEM's and come up with a solution?

It's so annoying what I can hear when I push in and twist and then lose when I let go :frowning2:

Any help appreciated

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 16
While I got a pretty good seal with the medium Comply tips, my left ear canal is a little bit smaller than my right so the right one was a looser fit and would loose seal more easily.  I tried the Ostry OS100/200/300 tuning tips based on a recommendation in the 1964 Ears ADEL thread.  I thought that the filter changed the sound too much for my liking, although the seal was better than any of the stock tips.  

I just received a set of Spinfit tips and these are by FAR the best sealing and sounding tips!  The medium tips work well for me, so you should be able to match the size to which ever Comply tip size works for you.  I purchased mine from Earwerkz.com accessories page.  You can buy 4 pairs for $25.

Hope this helps!

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 16
The best impressions on tips I've found were posted by @Jobbing on the Adel thread. By far the most extensive and detailed impressions I've seen. I got the Spinfits and really like them over any of the tips I got with my ADELs. As mentioned above, I would order from Earwerks, now Empire Ears and get the set that comes with several of them, so that you can try what's best for you. To me, the Spinfits are the most comfortable, they give you a better seal and I believe the sound is the best coming out of these. Not sure how to post the link to the tip impressions, but I've copied them below, but credit goes to @Jobbing  for these impressions: 

1964 U6ADEL – tip comparison  (edit 1 09/29/2015)

Disclaimer
I don’t consider myself to be an audiophile with golden ears nor am I able to provide you with a scientific approach, but I’m sure there are lots of (self-acclaimed) experts willing to do so with excellent measuring gear. I’m just giving you my honest opinion here :wink:. In general I consider all tips in this comparison to be of very good quality and frankly you can’t go wrong with either of them: to me it’s a matter of marginal differences and preferences when using these on the U6. This overview might be subject to changes :wink:

Tip size: M, except for the Sony Hybrids
Prices: may very
Test tracks (24B):
  1. All this love – Angus & Julia Stone
  2. The Fear – Ben Howard
  3. Wonder – Natalie Merchant
  4. Giving up Everything – Natalie Merchant

Important note: U6 has a 3D printed housing, its sound tube to me has rather sharp edges, as a consequence insertion in the ear canal may be a bit uncomfortable especially when using thin silicon tips (shorter than Comply) so make sure to pull back your outer ear when inserting soft silicon tips in the canal. The nozzle doesn’t have a ring (see EarWerkz Supra universal in comparison) to prevent tips from sliding off when pulling it out of the ear so please be careful using small size tips as they might get stuck.

1964 U6ADEL (L) and EarWerkz Supra (R) for reference regarding nozzle and flush fit

Tips - Line up:

Comply - SureSeal M - SureSeal M+ - Saroundbi SpinFit - Muse SpinFit - Sony Hybrids - OS200

Comply™Foam (T series ~$7 a pair)
+ best isolation (especially high tones)
+ easy seal
- (de)compression
- hassle
- short lifespan
- no wax guard
- price

Comply has always been my last resort for tips and for isolation purposes only so I’ll make this story short. Compared to most silicon tips the Complys tips are about 2 mm longer than the average silicon tips and the front foam part will act as a buffer and well prevent the nozzle’s edges from hurting your ear canal. The foams provided don’t come with the earwax guard filter like the TX series.

Aurisonics® SureSeal™ (SK4-SST_S3   ~$6 a pair)
+ Slightly ‘airier’ than Comply
+ very comfortable for long listening sessions
+ instant seal due to ‘stickiness’ of the silicon
- jelly-like silicon makes isn’t very practical when sliding the tip over the nozzle

The SureSeal (regular M version) are made of a thin ‘jelly-like’ silicon. Although just a tad less bass quantity the SureSeals sound more spacious and ‘airier’. To my own surprise they make a very good alternative tip for the Comply. The highs however are more present now and seeming to be fatiguing for longer listening. If pushed too far over the edges of the nozzle will be visible. Beware that the stickiness of the tip and the lack of a ring on the nozzle may cause the tip to be jammed in your ear canal very easily.

SureSeal M+ (L) and SureSeal 'regular' M (R)

note: the alternative M+ tip (yes, the one with the ‘nipple’ :wink:) does elevate the mids and highs making the sound slightly ‘airier’ compared to the Comply but thinner and bass south from neutral, a bass-drainer so to speak.

Saroundbi SpinFit® Donguri (SPFT RD-01M  ~$10 a pair including postage)
+ flexible
+ all round tip
- isolation

In general I prefer the smallest size SpinFits (XS) on my IEMs for deep/maximum insertion. Due to the  U6 semi-hard shell preformed limitation I use size M for best seal. To me Saroundbi SpinFit Donguri (Japanese) bests the Comply and SureSeal in overall clarity. Mids and bass are more prominent compared to the SureSeals.

Muse™ SpinFit (CP101 / CP100  ~$5 a pair including postage)
Besides the slightly (perceived?) increase in bass quantity I can hardly tell the difference between the sound coming from the Muse (Chinese) and Donguri.

Saroundbi SpinFit (L) and Muse SpinFit (R)

Optically the latter seems to be a fraction thinner, not noticeable in my ear though. The Muse version however is half the price making it a bang for the buck if size fits your ear: afaik Muse SpinFit is only available in size S and M

Sony Hybrids (EP-EX11LLB ~$10 a pair including postage)
+ very flexible tip
- isolation
- too much bass presentation to my liking

Due to the high flexibility I prefer the extra large size for the Sony Hybrids. These are an extreme good pairing if you’re looking for that extra bass while retaining the quality mids and highs.

JVC Spiral Dots
Suggested by @vtkc to include in this comparison, unfortunately I don’t have them at hand. Will add my impression asap.

Ostry OS series (OS100, OS200, OS300  ~$10 a pair including postage)
The Ostry tips resemble the SpinFit silicon tips soundwise and optically.

Saroundbi SpinFit (L) and OS200 (R)

In addition they have a metal mesh/filter supporting the soundtube and pre-shaping the nozzle to preventing its edges from hitting your ear canal.  To my ears the metal mesh/filter doesn’t affect the sound therefore preventing the nozzle from clogging up as a bonus.

The OS series come in three versions each offering different levels of ‘sibilance control’.  
  1. OS100 - lowest impact on sound : smallest reduction of sibilance (blue)
  2. OS200 - medium impact  (red)
  3. OS300 - highest impact on sound : largest reduction of sibilance (black)

I found that the OS200 resembles matches the Saroundbi SpinFit Donguri and OS300 is between Muse SpinFit and Sony Hybrids. My personal preference is the OS200.

Final words
It’s very understandable 64 Audio included the Comply tips with their 1964ADEL Kickstarter models. They act like buffers between the rather sharp edges of the 3D printed housing/nozzle and have premium looks. In my comparison the Comply has the best isolation. If you’re not looking for optimal isolation on your universal monitors, the alternatives are very good and affordable compared to the Comply tips however should be used with care. Overall winner and go to tips for me would be the Ostry OS series.

edit 1: added pictures of U6 and Supra, side by side as a reference point
 Jobbing 

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 16
Thanks a lot for your replies guys. Off the back of your advice I've order a couple of sets of the Saroundbi SpinFit off ebay, as I'm located in the UK. Hopefully I can get some sort of fit/seal from them. If this doesn't work I think I'm going to have to sell these Adels and get customs :s
It's really weird how I feel I get a good seal/isolation from the Comply tips, but when I push and twist then the sound signature is massively different for the better.

Feb 24, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #5 of 16
Anyone ordered Aurisonics SureSeal based in Europe?
Did you get any notifications that your order has shipped?

Last but not least this notice from their website is pretty suprising, never took 20 or even 30 days for any USPS package to reach me 
confused_face.gif

Feb 25, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #6 of 16
I have received the Ortofon tips, they partly obstruct the bore and the soundstage is affected IMHO.
So far the best I have tried are JVC Spiral Dots and Philips tips. Waiting on SureSeals.

I find that tip rolling on the U12 is having more important effect than any other IEM I have owned before.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #7 of 16
I have received the Ortofon tips, they partly obstruct the bore and the soundstage is affected IMHO.
So far the best I have tried are JVC Spiral Dots and Philips tips. Waiting on SureSeals.

I find that tip rolling on the U12 is having more important effect than any other IEM I have owned before.

the ortofon tips i have clears up the bore of my u12. I'll see how to upload the pic but my iPad isn't showing the upload pic icon.

Feb 29, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #8 of 16
the ortofon tips i have clears up the bore of my u12. I'll see how to upload the pic but my iPad isn't showing the upload pic icon.

I purchased those off eBay, I'll chek if they're genuine...

I think I have found THE best tip for me anyway, with the SureSeal Large bass have more impact than with the Spiral Dots, better highs and slightly better soundstage not to mention confort and secure seal with the sticky silicon (but oh my they are a dirt magnet...).

Jun 19, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 16
I'm now on the INAIRS Air 1. Cheaper alternative to the Comply foams. Quality is good. Foam seems a bit denser than Comply's, also they have a wax seal. So hopefully they'll be easier to clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back