What? There's no Ducktails HD thread here yet?
Apr 5, 2013 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

disastermouse

Headphoneus Supremus
"Not ponytails or cotton-tails, it's Ducktails, Whoo-ooh!"

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 5
Seriously, am I the only old gamer who's THRILLED about this remake?

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 5
As someone who has played both the NES and Game Boy versions, I think being wary is more appropriate. It was an awesome classic and recent remakes like the one for Doom 3 didn't go too well. And even if it did, there's that nostalgia filter that's hard to overcome. It might end up being very nice, but there's a certain immersion that only retro graphics and sound can bring.

Apr 9, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm just at the point where the video games business makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  The existence of the Wii-U is indecipherable to me.  Sony seems to be the 'good' console maker as far as indies are concerned (I keep reading stories about indies who are truly psyched to be working with them) - as well as Sony's seeming total lack of arrogance this generation.  It's just weird.

Apr 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 5
I think it's due to mobile phones/tablets eroding traditional gaming venues in the same way it's been doing to PCs. Nintendo has usually done its own thing and managed to succeed (except for the Virtual Boy). It was strategy was somewhat visible back in the N64 and Wii days. The Wii-U seems like it's trying to follow the Wii, but I think changing markets will make that less successful. But then again, it's Nintendo; they'll likely find away to make it work.

Sony has been much harder figure out. Sony's been known to whore technical specifications at the expense of simplicity; the PS2 and PS3 were technical powerhouses but a pain to program for. The PS4, on the other hand, is basically a modified x86 (read: PC) and thus is simple to program and port to/from the PC. That's probably why the indie game devs love Sony. Maybe Sony is actually aware of shifting markets...

Also, it looks like another oldie is getting remade:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/04/15/castle-of-illusion-remake-confirmed-with-a-new-trailer-and-screens/

I wonder if it's out of nostalgia, or if people are running out of ideas for games that leave a fond impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back