What the world needs: good circumaural pads for Grados.
Sep 24, 2004 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

comabereni

1000+ Head-Fier
It's all in the title.

Some small manufacturer/enterprising individual with foam and vinyl, or foam and cloth, capabilities needs to take on this project. How about a clip-on cushioned pad for the headband to go with it?

Only then I can start buying the heavier high-end Grados knowing I can wear them for more than about 20 minutes.

Sep 24, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 22
The only time I have tried Grados I found them uncomfortable, and that was just listening in a shop. They may have great sound, but I found them uncomfortable and to me that's just as important. This was with some foamy supra-aural pads.

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #3 of 22
someone needs to (and i hope grado) make a more comfortable supra aureal
which gives the same soundstage, resolution as the bowls
but as comfortable as the 414
but also warming up the sound and yet retain the punchyness of the mid bass rather than the boomyness

Grado's are supra aureal phones
they just weren't built to be circumaural

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelfly
The only time I have tried Grados I found them uncomfortable, and that was just listening in a shop. They may have great sound, but I found them uncomfortable and to me that's just as important. This was with some foamy supra-aural pads.

I think the cut-off for me is the plastic Grados. I like my MS1's, and quickly forget I'm wearing them, but I only like them with modded comfy pads. I have SR-325's, but only use them with unmodded comfies and, even then, their weight and squeeze is too much for extended listening. I have them stretched as loose as they can go and still get good sound.

Comfortable circumaural pads that moved the drivers as close to the ear as possible (like flats do), and a padded headband could solve both the sonic and comfort issues in one stroke. Maybe you'd have to redrill the chambers so they could be mounted a little forward, and that would be a pain for most people, but there does seem to be a little room left for a tight circumaural pad design both laterally and vertically, so I don't think that would necessarily be required (unless your head is quite large, in which case you might run out of room for a headband pad).

All I know is I have to use comfies with my 325's when all the reports say I should be using flats, but I could never consider them due to already sketchy comfort level. I wouldn't mind trying MS2's, RS-1's/2's, or even the MS-Pro, but I already know I'd need to use them with comfies, so I doubt I'll even try.

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 22
It's Grado. You've got to take the pain. Otherwise you must commit to other unworthy heaphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 22
Making them circumaural would probably change the sound too drastically. You wouldn't even have a grado anymore. Not to mention it'll probably sound like s**t. Why not just get an actual circumaural phone. They do make them you know. (kidding, don't mean to sound so rude)
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by md01
It's Grado. You've got to take the pain. Otherwise you must commit to other unworthy heaphones.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes, you must endure Klingon DaHjaj Suvwl'e' jIH. tlgwlj Sa'angNIS, lw bIQtlqDaq jljaH to truly enjoy the Grado sound.

[Sound of Klingon pain sticks slapping my back as I don my 325's...]

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Making them circumaural would probably change the sound too drastically. You wouldn't even have a grado anymore. Not to mention it'll probably sound like s**t. Why not just get an actual circumaural phone. They do make them you know. (kidding, don't mean to sound so rude)
biggrin.gif

I agree Kirosia. I was just musing on the high-end Grados' biggest shortcoming while thinking someone might be able to come up with a simple pad solution. I plan to probably go with Senn 600's or 650's next.

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
Yes, you must endure Klingon DaHjaj Suvwl'e' jIH. tlgwlj Sa'angNIS, lw bIQtlqDaq jljaH to truly enjoy the Grado sound.

[Sound of Klingon pain sticks slapping my back as I don my 325's...]

biggrin.gif

I must be one of the luck ones. I don't find them uncomfortable. Maybe something about the size/shape/sensitivity of my head.

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by comabereni
It's all in the title.

Some small manufacturer/enterprising individual with foam and vinyl, or foam and cloth, capabilities needs to take on this project. How about a clip-on cushioned pad for the headband to go with it?

Only then I can start buying the heavier high-end Grados knowing I can wear them for more than about 20 minutes.

I thought it was the world need a "good" pair of grados to put in some pads and not the other way around.
wink.gif

Take it easy....just messing with team Grado.
icon10.gif

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

I must be one of the luck ones. I don't find them uncomfortable. Maybe something about the size/shape/sensitivity of my head.

Yeah, I don't either unless I've had them on for several hours. After that, my ears do feel squashed, and I gotta give 'em a break. Well worth the awesome sound though... I'm using the bowls BTW...

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 22
I'd sell my soul to the devil in order to listen to Grados/Alessandros...the alternative is listening to those *other* insufferable headphones.

I'd say that "comfort" is a small price to pay for heavenly sound.

And you dare call yourself real "audiophiles," wusses?
tongue.gif

Listening to: "I saw the Sign" by Ace of Base on my ATH-A900

Sep 24, 2004 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 22
let me say another thing:

On a great source, and a great amp
the bowls really do not seem nearly as harsh/bright as people imaging

I have the RS-2's, but recently
I bought them to my bud's store who stocks alot of good equipment:
Rotel, Moon, Musical Fidelity, NAD
interconnects etc...

I tried the following from grado: SR80, SR225, SR325, Mine and the RS-1

i'll put this conflict to an end:
The grado's are a very effecient headphone and is very revelaing of source/equipment (though usually sounds quite good even with a generic pcdp
smily_headphones1.gif
)
anyways
I was a flat pad user for the longest time, when i just had my RS-2's with a TA and a generic sony cdplayer and crap ass interconnects

when using bowls, I did have the symptoms of well, a bit bright, puchy bass, and could even be grainy or sibilent

I liked my flats, better: warmer, smooth, still detailed, and bassy (i was more of a bass head)

after upgrading source to nad 540, getting air 3 ic's, a audio alchemy HPA-1 and a moon power supply
I found, the benefits of the bowl, were significant to the new equipment
more detail, more control, no grain, far better staging, and layering
Better resolution and dynamics, even more impact (as the bass is punchier)

then went to the store w/ flats and my rs'2 and of course all stock bowls on the other grado's
Used the MF TRI-Vista SACD and a Tri-vista 21 DAC, w/ Tara Air 1's and Kimber Silver Streaks
Used a RA-1, my HPA-1 and Xcan 3
and wow
yup, definately bowls are far superior as compared with the flats
And w/ the right Ic's and amp: the mf source, my HPA-1 and the Air 1's
it felt like the sound I liked of the Flats, warmer, smooth, yet remained bowl like with the punchyness and controlled bass, detailed, fast midrange and incrediable detail and resolution and this was throughout the entire Grado range
Not that the flats didn't sound better with the equipment, but honestly the sound from the Bowls were so amazing and far superior it literially was "better"

I was also at the store listening to quite a few other things, as I am in the market of speakers, again listening to some Monitor Audio GR 20's, Kef signature's, Vienna Betoveen, Martin Logan Prodigy through some pretty spectacular amps such as a MF Kilowatt
and quite honestly, the headphones that used the bowls, with the equipment I was listening to, was much more natural to the caliber of speakers I was listening to
not as wide, but did have the stage simular, but most noticably the detail yet again, as top range reference speakers have immaculate resolution and detailed, perhaps even more "british" than anything like the KEF or Monitor Audio

SO
my conclusion is this
The bowls are a superior pad
but
to encompass the resolution and "ability" the bowls can offer
you need fabulous equipment for it to sound to it's potential
My NAD 542/Air 3's/HPA-1 and power supply just sound medieocre compared to what I was listening to

So to convince a guy like John, who probably has the be all end all of source/amp/cables/power supply
He probably based his decision on what makes his headphones sound like "truely the worlds best headphones"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back