What the hell's my problem?! New Setup not working
Feb 8, 2005 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I just got an EMU404 hooked up to a Benchmark DAC1 with an optical cable. From there I have two Active Event Studio Precision 8's hooked into XLR. The sound level is LOW. When I move the volume knob on the DAC1 it makes no difference, just the same very LOW sound. Is there something in the EMU I have to configure? I have it set to SPDIF output with ASIO 44.1khz and am using FOOBAR with ASIO 44.1khz.

These are the cables I am using for my speakers
XLR Cables

Could they be the problem? Did I get the wrong version, should I have gotten the mic XLR cables instead?

PLEASE HELP ME THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 19
Also all playback sounds extremely scratchy coming out of the DAC1.

Another possible problem, I have the DAC1 and speakers all hooked into my monster PC1000. I am using the SWITCHED side instead of the UNSWITCHED side.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 19
Another thing, on the back of my monitors I have the Input Sensitivity set to -20db and HF Trim/LF Trim both at 0db.

The same volume and scratchiness problems occur when I plug my DT440s into the DAC1.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 19
Hmm those are the speakers I lust for
biggrin.gif

Funny that you posted this today, I used to have my speakers (Event PS5's) plugged into the switched side with the DAC1, and today for the heck of it I switched them to the unswitched side, leaving only the DAC1 on the switched side alone. I'll be darned if the DAC1 doesn't sound smoother and fuller in the mids.

For foobar, make sure that all the DSP's are turned off (assuming you're not using them), and set your output to 24-bit padded to 32. Put a "send" in the ASIO output stip in patchmix to the SPIDF output.

For physical setup, if you want the DAC1 to control the volume of the speakers, you'd need to set the rear switch to the upward position "variable." The cables look right to me. I can't think of much else right now.

Feb 8, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hmm those are the speakers I lust for
biggrin.gif

Funny that you posted this today, I used to have my speakers (Event PS5's) plugged into the switched side with the DAC1, and today for the heck of it I switched them to the unswitched side, leaving only the DAC1 on the switched side alone. I'll be darned if the DAC1 doesn't sound smoother and fuller in the mids.

For foobar, make sure that all the DSP's are turned off (assuming you're not using them), and set your output to 24-bit padded to 32. Put a "send" in the ASIO output stip in patchmix to the SPIDF output.

For physical setup, if you want the DAC1 to control the volume of the speakers, you'd need to set the rear switch to the upward position "variable." The cables look right to me. I can't think of much else right now.

ARG still not working. I think my problem lies in the 404 stuff, I'll post a screenshot of how I have it.

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy
Volume knob still not working and sound still very low.

Does the volume control at least work for the headphone jack? If not, it would seem that your DAC1 is defective. If it does work, that's quite strange, are you sure that your DAC1 rear switch is set to up, or variable? What happens if you set it to calibrated (bottom)? The sound should be much louder on that setting, of course the volume control is designed not to work at that setting. DAC1 -> powered monitors can get insanely loud, so I don't understand why the volume is so low for you.

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Does the volume control at least work for the headphone jack? If not, it would seem that your DAC1 is defective. If it does work, that's quite strange, are you sure that your DAC1 rear switch is set to up, or variable? What happens if you set it to calibrated (bottom)? The sound should be much louder on that setting, of course the volume control is designed not to work at that setting. DAC1 -> powered monitors can get insanely loud, so I don't understand why the volume is so low for you.

I think you have your directions mixed up. I do have it set on variable but that is down. Yes I did try calibrated when I first set it all up, and man was it loud. Ear destroying loud.

The volume control does not work for the headphone jack either, but again it's all coming from the same source. Do you think it's worth it to run to Guitar Center and pick up some XLR balanced mic cables instead of the XLR AES/EBU cables I have now?

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 19
Arg, I just reinstalled sound drivers for my onboard soundstorm and hooked up the DAC1 up to that SPDIF optical output. SAME PROBLEM, both with speakers and with headphones
frown.gif

This is driving me insane. I guess I have a defective DAC1? Anyone have any experience with gettiing this replaced?

Feb 8, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 19
Oopsie, I did get those instructions a tad wrong, sorry mate. Anway, sounds to me like your DAC1 is definitely damaged then, but from what I've heard Benchmark's customer service is excellent, so just give them a call tomorrow and you should be in good hands. Did you just get the DAC1 new?

Also, it seems like the rest of your setup should be fine once you get this taken care of, I think we've gone over jsut about all the other settings.

Let us know how those speakers sound once you get it running properly. I'm hoping to score a pair as a graduation gift this summer.

Feb 8, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Oopsie, I did get those instructions a tad wrong, sorry mate. Anway, sounds to me like your DAC1 is definitely damaged then, but from what I've heard Benchmark's customer service is excellent, so just give them a call tomorrow and you should be in good hands. Did you just get the DAC1 new?

Also, it seems like the rest of your setup should be fine once you get this taken care of, I think we've gone over jsut about all the other settings.

Let us know how those speakers sound once you get it running properly. I'm hoping to score a pair as a graduation gift this summer.

Yup I bought it new through a dealer I found on audiogon. I've contacted him and will contact Benchmark tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back