what the hell...?
Feb 2, 2005 at 9:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

aeriyn

Headphoneus Supremus
Just out of curiosity, I tried rolling my AD8620 opamp out of my PIMETA for an OPA2227 that I've got around. So, I power the amp off, pull the existing opamp, set it in an anti-static bag, then plunk the OPA2227 in.

Power on, play song... CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH. Clipping... What? Put old opamp back in. CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH. More clipping.

It was working fine just a few minutes ago. o.o Any ideas?

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:45 AM Post #3 of 14
Oh boy. Just what I wanted to hear. X.x;;;

Guess I should get checking, then.

Supply voltage checks out though, 18V. Hrm...

Feb 2, 2005 at 9:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Is there really loud popping noises when you plug in your headphones regard less of volume?

Make sure you put the OPAmpst in correctly. Oriented correctly.

Also, be careful not to plug in Ground OPamp into LR and vice versa. I fried a pair of OPA627's by putting them in the Ground one by accident. Either that or they were DOA to begin with.

-Ed

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 14
No, it's just clipping. Like it's not getting enough power. Distortey, crunchy clipping.

Offset on the outputs is <2mV, so whatever it is hasn't messed the circuit up enough to produce offset voltage.

The correct opamps are in the correct slots. lol

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 14
what happens when you put your old op amps back in? another thought may be that the opa2227 isn't seated correctly in the sockets....

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:08 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyskraper
what happens when you put your old op amps back in? another thought may be that the opa2227 isn't seated correctly in the sockets....

I said in the first post that the old opamp clips too. Both the OPA2227 and the AD8620 are clipping now. -.-'

Voltages on the pins look correct, though.

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 14
So, it wasn't the socket, too bad...

Check for lose ground wires perhaps...

Knut

Edit: Not quick enough, "myself, aka me" beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
Could be a ground wire has come loose.

Bingo. This is what I get for hand tightening my panel mount RCA jacks.

Tightened them up with pliers. No more "clipping."

Feb 2, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by enemigo
Good!

Any thoughts on the differences between the 2 opams? Just got the OPA2227 myself. I'm having problems finding the AD's up here.

K

From my little test right now, the OPA2227 sounds very good for a 3 dollar opamp, very good even compared to AD8620. It's not quite as nice to my ears as the AD8620, but it's very close match. Has a slightly different sound signature... not as "in your face." More mellow. Works better with brighter headphones, like Grados. My Beyers appreciate the high-end lift the AD8620 gives them though.

Feb 2, 2005 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Just out of curiosity, I tried rolling my AD8620 opamp out of my PIMETA for an OPA2227 that I've got around. So, I power the amp off, pull the existing opamp, set it in an anti-static bag, then plunk the OPA2227 in.

Power on, play song... CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH. Clipping... What? Put old opamp back in. CRUNCHCRUNCHCRUNCH. More clipping.

It was working fine just a few minutes ago. o.o Any ideas?

did you knock or short anything?

edit: damn, I'm slow off the mark tonight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back