what the heck happened to the trusty belt-clip?
Aug 5, 2002 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ultraviolet353

Head-Fier
I am 32. I think I was around 11-12 when the first walkman hit the streets. For the next 8 years I had maybe ten walkmen (mostly aiwa or Sony). ALL of them had a belt clip attached to the actual unit (not a clip attached to the case). Most, if not all, had the option of removing the belt clip. Then around the early to mid 90's the belt clips started disappearing. You could basically only find them on the sport walkmen. Then the dreaded pleather carrying case with belt clip (what;'s the point of something that makes the unit look ugly). What is the deal here? Why do they keep disappearing. I have a Phillips CD player that has a belt clip, and a Sony Sport Walkman that has one too, but other than that, they are impossible to find. Does anybody know why this is. Now the hand strap!?!??!!? How is that more convenient than the belt clip if you go to the gym to lift? I mean for the money we pay, we should have the option to use both or none at all. Does anybody have ideas on this? Also, I need a recommendation for a pcdp that has a belt clip. Also, I have never used the hand strap--is it good, or does it get in the way?

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 3
If you think it is bad with PCDP, check out MD players... I have a small sony one (about the size of three MDs stacked together) that does NOT come with a belt clip. Something that small *should* come with some sort of belt clip. I bought it to exercise with, but had to buy an Intel Pocket Concert - reason? Had a belt clip.

Sorry, can't help you with the belt clip thing. There are options of glueing one on (cell phone accessories). But that didn't help me much with my MD player...

Aug 5, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 3
It is so funny to me. I read reviews for players (cassette, mp3, or CD) and the cons are always, "no belt clip." I really don't understand why a belt clip wouldn't be available. Like I said, when walkmen first started out, they almost always came with a belt clip. Now it's like you have to win the lottery to get one. I am the same way, my next purchase will be dependant on a belt clip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back