What the "DT" in the beyerdynamic headphone lineup actually means...
Oct 19, 2002 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
The world's first dynamic headphone was designed by beyerdynamic in 1937.

dt48.jpg

"The DT 48 was the first dynamic headphone in the world. It served as a basis for all hi-fi stereo headphones throughout the world.
In 1937 nobody, however, knew that this headphone was suitable as a hi-fi headphone. Therefore, Eugen Beyer called the DT 48 not headphone, but "Dynamic Telephone" which is abbreviated as "DT". It was in 1950 that the headphone and its inventor showed what was really going on: the first public demonstration of an artificial head with the DT 48 took place and the stereophonic DT 48 proved to be the world's first hi-fi stereo headphone! This was an acoustic sensation after 13 years. The DT 48 is still in production and one of the most popular professional headphone for reporters throughout the world! "

EDIT:

Sadly, the current production model is not as pretty.. (Or should I say beautiful?)

dt48a00_bg.jpg

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 7
Thanks for the history lesson, Flasken..............I enjoy interesting bits of basically useless information. Hell, I've been teaching history for over 30 years and my head is crammed full of that sort of stuff. I guess I'll just have to make room for a little more.
eek.gif

And I agree with you............the older 'phones have it all over the newer Beyers. The older ones kinda look like Grados with a wire wisk head band.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 7
Finally, thanks to Flasken I've found that one piece of information that I'll remember after this day of computer programming, with its buckets of useless information, is behind me. But now I can't help but wonder - what does the "HD" in the Sennheiser lineup stand for?

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Yes I agree, that headband does infact look like a wisk. Hmm... A twohand wisk with earcup grips.

Glad you liked the useless information guys.. As for sennheiser I've been able to dig up a cronological history line.. No word about why they call their phones HD though.. My guesses are it either means H eaDphone or H eadphone Dynamic...

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:05 PM Post #6 of 7
Looks like the 75 year old DT48 can whup the Sony VCrapDJ's ass in the looks department...
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 20, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 7
Yeah totally!!

Actually I thing the DT48 looks better than ANYTHING. You know, I really don't think the R10 looks that good at all... Too futuristic IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back