What tea do you drink?
Feb 7, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #47 of 69
The 4 gallons of Arizona Green Tea and 5 different packets of hot green tea suggest I've been addicted pretty long to one kind of tea.
280smile.gif

Feb 7, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Stuart/Demolition: Where do you get your fancy Asian teas? An Asian market?

Hi Chris,

I usually go to Japanese groceries (like these) to pick up my tea. I like the coziness of these smaller stores much better than the impersonal service at many of the Asian megamarkets that seem to be so popular now.

Quote:

Originally posted by minya
There's a tea store of all things at a local mall. Someone check it out and recommend some good tea for me to pick up.
wink.gif

They carry genmaicha, the variety that Stuart and I mentioned. That might be a good choice, since it's probably the tea that most people envision when they think of Japanese green tea. See here. A very easy to drink, relaxing tea. No weird surprises like you might have with other varieties.

By the way, I really like the look of this teapot. For some reason, it reminds be of a Sumiko Pro-Ject RM-9 turntable.
tongue.gif

D.

Feb 7, 2004 at 4:14 PM Post #50 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
By the way, I really like the look of this teapot. For some reason, it reminds be of a Sumiko Pro-Ject RM-9 turntable.
tongue.gif

D.

Demo, the shape is really like Pro-Ject....
biggrin.gif
. Nice piece.

When talking about Pro-Ject: in fact it isn't a Sumiko's product. Sumiko is only a distributor of them in US. Pro-ject Audio System was found in 1990 in Austria and its headquarter is in Vienna, but in fact the turntables are manufactured in Czech Republic, by SEV Litovel - a successor of the legendary Tesla company, with over 50 years of tradition of turntables producing. They designed this belt-driving turntable already in 1982.

Feb 7, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #51 of 69
Back to the topic. I personally like this Teekanne Globo teapot (I would like to buy it, but it's kinda expensive, about 60 USD):

B0000CDLON.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Its shape allows to separate the tea leafs from the liquid after infusion without a need to put a strainer away. It stands on 3 legs after all, but for the infusion period you incline the teapot, so it stands on 2 legs and its bow. Very simple but genuine idea. I like it.

Feb 8, 2004 at 5:59 AM Post #54 of 69
Oolong or green, made with teaball.

Which reminds me, can I ask: Harrods sells teas and while visiting one person's house they gave me some Harrod's tea, they said "Oolong", but it was the best damn Oolong I have ever experienced. Had a slight, subtle tinge of citrus, like orange, and it was devestating. Anybody know the exact tea? They have so many I don't know which one to order. The person who gave me the cup of tea couldn't remember either.

Thanks.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #55 of 69
Green tea for me when I do drink it. I'm rather fond of green iced tea with some fresh mint.

Feb 8, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Permonic
When talking about Pro-Ject: in fact it isn't a Sumiko's product. Sumiko is only a distributor of them in US.

It's always good to learn something new. Thanks for the clarification.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
I'm rather fond of green iced tea with some fresh mint.

I also drink a lot of cold green tea. Usually in the summer, but at other times of the year, as well. Very thirst quenching.

A popular chilled tea among Japanese is mugicha, made of roasted barley. Sounds like an odd concoction, but it's very refreshing and supposedly has health benefits.

D.

Edit: added the bit about mugicha

Feb 8, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by Jeff Guidry
Don't pictures like those get you banned around here?

Well, I hope everybody see it as an art piece, made of china, with an amusing keynote. It's a part of a collection of more then 2500 teapots. I provided the link to the website (in German language, however)

It's like e.g. the famous Manneken Pis in Brussels: http://www.manneken-pis.com/intro.html

Anyway, I changed it to a link only.

Feb 8, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #58 of 69
I drink alot of Chrysantheum tea
just like the flower, but it has a amazing smooth and fragrent flavor

I sweeten it with honey (clove)

very tasty

otherwise i'm a big fan of just chai with water, or any loose earl grey tea's

Feb 8, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #59 of 69
ozric:

My day begins with Black Indian Lipton Red Label CTC/Assam Tea blend brewed Indian style: with a pinch of spice blend we refer to as masala: a combination of cardamom, ginger, black pepper and cinnamon and milk. Real Indian chai, not the fake, overpriced crap they try to pass off as chai at Starbucks

Is this tea sweetened?

I found a box of Celestial Seasonings that has masala spice mix and added just a bit of honey and it tasted very good. I haven't tried it with milk. How much milk do you use?

nickD

Feb 8, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:

Originally posted by nick danger

Is this tea sweetened?

I found a box of Celestial Seasonings that has masala spice mix and added just a bit of honey and it tasted very good. I haven't tried it with milk. How much milk do you use?

nickD

I sweeten my tea with large-crystal brown sugar. It has a better flavor than the white refined stuff, and a sweeter taste than the "Sugar in the Raw" brand.

I haven't tried the Celestial Seasonings Chai, but Yogi Tea makes a Masala Chai that is excellent, with the correct ingredients, if you prefer tea bags. I've tried it and it tastes good: http://www.yogitea.com/Chai/ChaiTeaList.asp

I don't use tea bags, though; I prefer to brew the old fashioned way. I personally add only a dash of milk after the tea has steeped for 3-5 minutes and has been strained, but the traditional way of making masala chai involves adding the masala along with sugar and tea to a mixture of equal parts water and whole milk and boiling it until it foams. The fat from the milk really brings out the flavors of the spices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back