What tablet would you recommend?
Feb 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

maxsayer

100+ Head-Fier
I'm saving up to buy a tablet to use for music, video, gaming with splashtop, etc. and I want to know which one you guys recommend. I have been looking at the asus transformer prime and the toshiba thrive, but what would you recommend.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #2 of 15
why don't you wait till the iPad 3 gets released. Apple usually releases the new one around april. iOS has the best games in graphics & quantity wise compaired to Android.

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #3 of 15
I would say the tablet market is still fledgling. Aside from Apple's iPad (which I use every day for work, play, and organisation), the other options are too inconsistent. The same hardware, or very similar hardware can be on an OS that is 1-3 years behind current, and may or may not work with the apps you want. If you don't want to use Apple products, you will probably really have to do some homework as Android, as nice as it can be, isn't supported properly by a lot of the vendors out there.

You could call me biased, but if you knew my history, you would realise I chose Apple after a long and difficult road with many vendors. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 15
I'm looking at tablets myself. Personally, I can't live with Apples strangleware philosophy, so the iPad is not an option.

I found that the 2 tablets topping my list currently are the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Asus Transformer Prime. So far I haven't been able to choose, as both devices have some strong sellingpoints.

I like the Samsung a lot because it has a Wolfson DAC and with the usual mods (Voodoo etc) can be made into a decent sounding device. Another thing I really like is that there is a version that has 3G on board.

I like the Asus a lot because of the hardware keyboard and the fact this keyboard dock has an extra battery onboard gives it great runtime. The form factor of this device and the processor it has on board could make it suitable to be used as a full replacement for my netbook.

My problem is, I want one device that does it all and does it well, but the realtek DAC in the Asus is not that great, the keyboard dock for the Samsung on the other hand is designed for desktop only use and is very impractical on the go. So for now, I'm waiting a bit. I hope ICS will support USB DACs soon, the minute this update is available for the Prime I'd buy one.

But in your situation, where music, video and gaming will be the main use, I'd go with the Samsung if you don't want to wait for what might be coming in the near future..

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 15
I'm pretty sure that ice 4.0 is out for the transformer prime. The reason I like the transformer prime is because the keyboard adds a USB port and I don't have a laptop. (Not aloud to get one)

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 15
ICS is indeed available, but afaik it doesn't have working USB DAC support yet.

That's the blocking issue for me right now, because once USB DAC support works, it doesn't matter anymore how crappy the onboard DAC is :)

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 15
I am looking to buy a tablet myself, not interested with ipads or bigger tablets (too bulky to carry around). My eyes currently are on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, trying to find out what DAC they have inside.

I am in Canada and they are not available commonly, only a few places I have spotted but very expensive.

Some said the 7.0 Plus sounds good. I am waiting for someone to open them inside from review(s) to see before I decide.

Feb 22, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #10 of 15
I was considering an Android tablet too, (Asus Transformer Prime or Samsung Galaxy Tab, etc.) to replace my big-ass 17" gaming laptop I'm in the process of selling, and they are tempting as hell I'll grant.  I have an Android phone (Motorola Photon 4G) which I like a fair bit.  But then I started tuning into coverage of the iPad 3 on Gizmodo and started seeing articles like this- http://gizmodo.com/5883813/what-the-ipad-3s-retina-display-would-look-like

I mean, 2048x1536 resolution Retina Display in a 10" tablet?  That's just disgusting. Strangleware or no, I would be doing an utter facepalm if in a few months the iPad 3 comes out with that ridiculous display and I'm stuck with 1280x800.  

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #11 of 15
I have the prime w/ keybard and I wouldn't compare it to any laptop computer at the same price point.  Video can be good but I don't know any tablet that I would consider gaming on.  Splashtop is not an option for anything that intensive from my experience.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #12 of 15
Get the Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (I think that one's it). Tegra 3 awesomeness. Actually, there's a new Transformer coming out with Tegra 3. It doesn't have resolution as high as the iPad 3 but 1) the iPad 3 will probably suffer in some applications because the integrated GPU isn't strong enough and 2) when are you going to use such a high resolution?

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
Get the Asus Transformer Prime TF201 (I think that one's it). Tegra 3 awesomeness. Actually, there's a new Transformer coming out with Tegra 3. It doesn't have resolution as high as the iPad 3 but 1) the iPad 3 will probably suffer in some applications because the integrated GPU isn't strong enough and 2) when are you going to use such a high resolution?

Yes, if you are serious about the TFP than wait for this

http://androidcommunity.com/asus-redesigns-transformer-prime-touts-1920x1200-display-and-new-chassis-20120109/

Feb 23, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 15

Every second I spend looking at it. :)

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Just as a side note, the prime out performs the iPad 2 in just about every category. I'm a Mac computer fanboy but when it comes to phones and tablets, Android has it on lock. If you want a pretty GUI that can not really be customized outside of what apple lets you, get the IPad. If you want something fully hackable, get the android. Prime, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back