What surround sound speakers: Kilpsch or Polk?
Apr 3, 2011 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,

I recently upgraded from my 10 year old Yamaha 5.1 receiver to a NAD T-747 and am looking to upgrade from the stock speakers that came with my Yamaha (crappy ass speakers BTW). I was looking at some packages online and have a budgetof $300 right now.

I had looked at the Kilpsch HD300 and the Polk Audio RM705. I know the Klipsch brand but was mainly wondering on which one you think is best.

Please let me know which is a better value and such, and it's been a long time since I asked for advice here :wink:

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 11
Strangely enough, I have both Klipsch and Polk gear.  The Klipsch is a little nicer.

Apr 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 11
Ok. What would you recommend in the $500-$600 range? Actually let me know what speakers in under the $1000 range you could recommend.

Apr 4, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 11
Apr 5, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 11
I should have stated it earlier but I need them all to be satelite style. They all need to be about 4-5 pounds each.

I picked up a Dayton Audio sub kit and tweaked it considerably. Blutaked the cone backing and put sound absorbing foam and fiberloft stuffing inside. I also added blutak to the magnet and case. When all this was done the sound was much much better. Bass was very controlled  and a lot more precise and no longer had a thump sound to it.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #7 of 11
I have a set of KEF KHT-3005's. They are over your limit new, but you may be able to find them used for within your budget. I almost never use mine. They are mostly for company, otherwise I tend to use my cans. I also have a cheap set of Polks you may be interested in buying. I will send you a PM about those.

Apr 9, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 11
I bought a set of Harmon Kardon HKTS 30BQ's and I must say it sounds very very good in comparison to my old crappy speakers. I got a good deal on them so it doesn't bother me. They are far better than my other speakers could ever be but I'm still undecided. I could always return them and get my money back.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 11
Well thing is  that I need satelite style speakers in the 4ld range for wall mounting but I really could not find any affordable ones in my range. I got the HK's for $400 marked down from $999 so it's not so bad. Once I move and get a bigger palce I will get better speakers but right now this is all I ahve room for. My old speakers were starting to go as they started making a crackiling noise so I ahd to upgrade eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back