What sq benefit do you get from 414 pad and sr60?
Oct 4, 2006 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mattg3

500+ Head-Fier
Reading a lot about igrado and its need for a quarter mod.What would you gain in actual sound quality changes using the 414 pads and quarter mod on the sr60?I had a pair last year and found them too bright and felt if i quarter modded them and used a 414 pad it would make them even more harsh.I sold my sr60 but now wonder if I should rebuy them and go the 414 route or try the igrado with a quarter mod.I just hate harsh,sibilant sound but liked the rest of the way the grado sounded. Thanks

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Oh boy; I did the pad swap and modding to 414s on my MS-1s during any break-in, so I can't really say for sure what opening up the drivers actually did. One suggestion that would unfortunately add a few dollars to a re-purchase, would be to go with MS-1 at $99 and get a pair of cans without the Grado top end. The Alessandro MS-1s are a more neutral form of Grado.

I does seem intuitive that modding the pads would allow the top end to be more pronounced, but I can't say for sure.

Anybody mod pads on already broken-in cans and noticed the results?

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Reading a lot about igrado and its need for a quarter mod.What would you gain in actual sound quality changes using the 414 pads and quarter mod on the sr60?I had a pair last year and found them too bright and felt if i quarter modded them and used a 414 pad it would make them even more harsh.I sold my sr60 but now wonder if I should rebuy them and go the 414 route or try the igrado with a quarter mod.I just hate harsh,sibilant sound but liked the rest of the way the grado sounded. Thanks

Sounds like you are more at home with MS-1 than SR60. The very reason I choose MS-1 was because even a fully broken in SR60 is too bright for my taste - wearing them with Quarter Mod comfies and moddeede HD414 will amplify the brightness.

F107plus5:
I can vouch for this, my MS-1 has over 600hours in them, and I modded her comfies with Quarter Mod hole, brightens it up a bit but finer details are clearly audible now - and I loved them, but still not as bright as SR60 unmodded.

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanx EFN.....I kinda figured that would be what happens! Now if the question ever comes up again, I can answer with more certainty!
wink.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 10
Sounds like maybe I should give the Igrado a chance since many are complaining the high end is a bit veiled on it so for one who found the sr60 too bright the igrado with no mod might be just what Im looking for

Oct 5, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattg3
Sounds like maybe I should give the Igrado a chance since many are complaining the high end is a bit veiled on it so for one who found the sr60 too bright the igrado with no mod might be just what Im looking for

I would take the SR-60 over the iGrado...personally. Especially if you do not have a MS or SR currently..

You can always go ultra portable later if you like the Grado house sound, and the SR-60 is indicitive of just that. And/Or you can compliment your walks and bike rides with a K75 from Koss for very cheap, and they sound awesome too..just suggesting
cool.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Cimirza,never read of anyone doing that but it makes sense.Do you find the 414 more comfortable than the comfies?Wonder if unmodded comfies on the igrado do the same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back