What Speakers? (Under £100)

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by Ragwolfe, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Ragwolfe
    I am looking for some bookshelf speakers for under £100 shipped UK, I know it's not much but It's a students budget, also will need a basic amp to power from my PC (preferably not more than another £30). Thanks.

(also sorry if this is wrong place for this I have not been on this forum in a while : P)

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Get the Edifier R1800BT. It has an amplifier built in. Use it via BT for clean transmission for now until you get a DAC-HPamp-Preamp later.

3. Ragwolfe
    Do they do cheaper ones, exactly without bluetooth, as I can control music from my PC with my phone, and it could mean saving a few quid : P

4. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    R1700BT, 1280T

5. Ragwolfe
    Thanks a lot!

6. Ragwolfe
    What would be a good "DAC-HPamp-Preamp" to get at a later point?

7. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    That can depend on what else you need. Without those qualifiers what I'd go for is to have all options on top of it having a DAC and preamp, USB and SPDIF digital inputs and a powerful headphone amplifier to drive practically any headphone, so I'm going to go with the AudioGD NFB-28.

If you're on a tighter budget you can get something like a Schiit Fulla2 and use a higher sensitivity headphone with it.

8. Ragwolfe
    I have a nice pair of V moda XS's that I intend to stick with for a good while yet : P

9. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    You can use the Fulla2 or even a NuForce UDAC5 if you can get that one cheaper and with local product support.

10. bixby
    Good suggestions from the Protege, I'll add Pioneer powered monitors and Fostex to the mix. Makes more sound quality sense to use decent powered monitors than a cheap chip amp and passives in my opinion.

11. Thujan Krishnakumar
    has anyone used Klipsh rb-10s, r14m or r15m as desktop speakers? I have a pair of each, not sure which to use. The rb-10s were a huge upgrade from the stock edifier satellites I had on my s760d