What speakers do you guys think i should get?
Jan 2, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #16 of 21
Either wait for a a good deal on a pair of Atom monitors on audiogon or up your budget by 100.  The Paradigm Mini Monitors do not hold a candle to the Atoms.  Reason?  The Atoms are made in Canada, while the minis are made in China with cheap materials and the sound is greatly affected.  It's actually the first speaker by Paradigm that has been compromised.  Not to say that all things made in China suck, just that it's the case with the mini monitor.  I did an A/B just the other day at my local hi-fi shop.  Suffice it to say, I left with a pair of Triangle Cometes, but the Atoms were way better in every way.  It is not worth the small difference in price. 

Another option is the Energy RC-10, which can be found many places for around 300.  I know you may be thinking why I'm suggesting 300 dollar speakers.  It's because there is no such thing as a  good 200 dollars speaker that isn't used. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #17 of 21
I want to start by thanking you guys for your opinions they're very valuable to me as i don't know anyone who has even heard of most of these speaker brands! i have checked into the energy speakers and i do like the looks of them and although they may be a little steep i have added them to my list along with the paradigm's and PSB's

I'm trying to steer clear of anything < 5.25 I really like the bass extension of bigger cones as i will not be utilizing a subwoofer anytime soon.

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #18 of 21
In that price range, I'd probably go for the Audioengine P4.  It's a passive monitor that is on par with the A5 for less money.  (The P4 is $249 a pair, a little over your stated budget but worth it IMO.  The A5 is $349.)  They go to 58 hz on the low end, which is as good as most 5-inch speakers.  You can't necessarily judge a speaker by its woofer size.

Jan 7, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #19 of 21
Actually i'm not looking for powered speaker as i have a Pioneer A35-R and that's much better than the puny amp in those. Although i have heard GREAT things about those as well it's just not my cup of tea, especially when i don't need them. and yes, Barley Guy i do realize that i can't judge a speaker by it's woofer size, it's just that generally with a bigger cone it allows for better bass extension.

Again thanks everyone for your input i really appreciate it!
beyersmile.png

Jan 8, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #21 of 21
well that is PC audio as well and i've had a Logitech 5.1 system and the sound quality is.... lacking to say the least. If you're looking for Logitech and such this isn't really the right thread but if you try out www.newegg.com they have LOTS of Logitech setups and even some higher quality audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back