What speakers do you guys think i should get?
Dec 21, 2010 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jakebot

Head-Fier
I'm going to be purchasing a Pioneer Elite A-35R amplifier and i'm looking at upgrading my JBL 2600 speakers as well. I am thinking about going with Boston Acoustic CS 26's, the Klipsch Synergy B-3's, BIC America FH-65B's, Energy Speakers C-200's, or maybe some Paradigm Mini Monitor's All of which in the color black (it's fairly important that the finish comes close to matching my desk.) I'm looking for other suggestions around this price range and color / style I'm looking for bookshelves with a woofer between 6-8"s. But either way I'm interested in hearing every bodies 2 cents. 

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 21
heard decent comments on the energy, never heard a Klipsch under $600 a pair that floated my boat, but may not have heard the ones you mentioned.

I would keep the Energy and Bostons on my short list.  Try to hear the psb Image series, very nice for the money.

Dec 24, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
heard decent comments on the energy, never heard a Klipsch under $600 a pair that floated my boat, but may not have heard the ones you mentioned.

I would keep the Energy and Bostons on my short list.  Try to hear the psb Image series, very nice for the money.

I've heard lots of good things about the PSB's as well I like the specs and looks and reviews of the B6 a lot but it's about double what i wanted to pay.
I have also heard good things about the B15 as well which i will definitely have to consider them.
What else would you recommend?

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #8 of 21
try to listen to the paradigms to see if you like their highs.  If it were me and pickens were slim in my area, a serious road trip to Chicago might be in order, just be ready to buy.  Saturday Audio or other dealers may have some b stock on ones that you like.  Saved me quite a bit of money and they looked just like reg stock.  B stock is usually some minor cosmetic blemish.  Or the vendors way of getting rid of excess inventory when a new revised line is about to come out without ticking off all the folks that paid regular price. 

Dec 28, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
try to listen to the paradigms to see if you like their highs.  If it were me and pickens were slim in my area, a serious road trip to Chicago might be in order, just be ready to buy.  Saturday Audio or other dealers may have some b stock on ones that you like.  Saved me quite a bit of money and they looked just like reg stock.  B stock is usually some minor cosmetic blemish.  Or the vendors way of getting rid of excess inventory when a new revised line is about to come out without ticking off all the folks that paid regular price. 

Thanks for your advice, i realize that is pretty much the best way for me to do this. I have also heard of a store called Abt as well. Having smooth highs is very important to me, is that how you would describe the Paradigms?

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Paradigms are a nice little speaker.

+1 on the paradigms.  My brother owns a set of the min monitors and they sound fantastic.  I've owned dozens of speakers in the last 20 years and somehow always come back to the offerings from this small Canadian company.  I currently own multiple sets of their titan and atom series; best bang for your buck in my opinion.

Dec 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for your advice, i realize that is pretty much the best way for me to do this. I have also heard of a store called Abt as well. Having smooth highs is very important to me, is that how you would describe the Paradigms?

I can't remember the model number of the Paradigms I heard, but they seemed a little bright, not much mind, but more-so than the psbs which I felt were more neutral.

cheers

Dec 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 21
Was about to start a new thread asking a very similar question.

Budget is $150-200. I intend to listen strictly to music, almost all of which will be heavy rock, alternative, and prog rock.

By far, my biggest priority is that I find a bookshelf set that's lively and forward. If the words "laid back," "veiled," or "boxy" have ever been used to describe a set of speakers, I'm not interested in them.

I made the mistake of purchasing the M-Audio AV30's early this year because everyone said they were so clear and detailed. Not to my ears. They're sterile, veiled, and make my music completely uninteresting. They have a severely rolled-off high end, and the music often sounds like it's stuck rattling around inside the enclosures instead of being projected out to my ears. Drums, especially cymbals, have never sounded so veiled and boring.

I want the polar opposite of that -- forward, lively, bright, strong/clear treble -- in passive bookshelves under $200.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 21
Most passive bookshelves under $200 by nature are going to be a BIT BOXY or they are not going to have bass at all at that price point.  Your best bet is to seek out a small 4 inch 2 way that has a good crossover and decent drivers.  At least that MIGHT get the mids and treble close to right.  PSB Atoms come to mind, not sure of current price.  

You may wish to try a simple diy kit from someone like Parts express.  They have a good rep, only problem is you can't hear them first and I have not either.  

Here is an example for your budget....................
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-640

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back