What speaker system should I get for my computer
Jul 31, 2004 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zeeky

100+ Head-Fier
Jul 31, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 13
Can you audition either one? Maybe at compusa or best buy?

Jul 31, 2004 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Computer speakers in that price range all sound terrible. Sad, but true. In fact, nearly all computer speakers sound terrible regardless of cost. Miniature satellites with miniature subwoofers forced to extra high crossovers simply cannot overcome physics and come up with a balanced, integrated sound. The subs on all computer speakers are especially bad due to design constraints (size, and having to go up into the midrange because the satellites are so small).

I know this helps you none at all, just sharing the disappointing truth.

My only possibly helpful remarks
wink.gif
- The only cheap computer speakers I've heard that I'd consider listenable are the older model cambridge soundworks 2.1 system, I haven't heard the updated version.

-dd3mon

Jul 31, 2004 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 13
Also, I haven't heard the rsl speakers, but I heard they imaged well and were smooth, great for jazz and classical. I think the link is rslspeakers.com. It's probably the most "audiophile" speakers you can get at this price point. They do have a great return policy because they pay for shipping BOTH ways, so you have nothing to lose at all. I'm loosely contemplating a set for my tv but it's not a priority right now.

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Also, I haven't heard the rsl speakers, but I heard they imaged well and were smooth, great for jazz and classical. I think the link is rslspeakers.com. It's probably the most "audiophile" speakers you can get at this price point. They do have a great return policy because they pay for shipping BOTH ways, so you have nothing to lose at all. I'm loosely contemplating a set for my tv but it's not a priority right now.

zeeky these are really good
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...121-104&DEPA=0

logitech by far has the best cheap speakers, stay away from creative!

Jul 31, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 13
I take exception to being quoted before such ridiculous statements!

Aug 1, 2004 at 2:58 AM Post #9 of 13
I had a 2.1 Altec Lansing setup a while ago. I think it was teh S48 (can't remember the model number). It sounded quite decent at the time. Of course I sold it before I acquired a decent speaker rig, so I couldn't do any real comparisons.

But man, that 2.1 setup was sweet
tongue.gif

I wish nowadays I can satisfied with a rig under $100
icon10.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I had a 2.1 Altec Lansing setup a while ago. I think it was teh S48 (can't remember the model number). It sounded quite decent at the time. But man, that 2.1 setup was sweet

I used to have Altec, Harmon Kardon, Creative, and NXTcomputer speakers. Altec was the best perfomance/value in 2.1 system.

Aug 6, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #11 of 13
Please do NOT get Logitech speakers. If you love yourself, you won't. For the budget you are looking at, try the other ones previously mentioned. And if you buy those $100 Bose ones, I WILL find you
evil_smiley.gif
j/k

They will be your speakers, go to Best Buy, CompUSA, or whatever and see what you like best. That way, you will not have the "what if" syndrome.

Aug 12, 2004 at 8:06 AM Post #13 of 13
I have the Ultra 5.1's, they are phenominal for computer speakers! Those are, IMO, the best speakers for strictly computer use (excluding amp and all that standalone stuff). If you are looking for the best computer speakers, just buy them insted of upgrading all the time. They can be a bit bright on certain songs, but not much at all to me. Like with all speakers, try before you buy
smily_headphones1.gif

I also have the 4.1's, they are downstairs for the general TV viewing and movies, put the sub into a corner cabinet and forget about the size of it. Jeez, I bet the neighboors hate us. Such a small sub can make a huge rumble, it's all about placement. Not to mention it's kinda horn loaded now, LOL
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back