What speaker cable for B&W N804 and Cambridge Audio 840Av2?
Sep 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lcnick

New Head-Fier
I've just upgraded my speakers, from the B&W N805's to the N804's. Bags more bass, similar mid-range and highs.

I'm wondering if a change of speaker cable would open things up more. Some options:

1) Different brand bi-wire (4-into-2) to replace the Chord Carnival;
2) Running two sets of 2-into-2 (eg perhaps the Chord for the high frequency terminals on the N804, and a different set of cables for the low frequency terminals; the 840A can accept two sets of speakers); or
3) Different 2-into-2 cable, and using jumpers (from B&W) to go the bi-wire route.

I listen mainly to jazz (but also rock, indie, reggae and soul), and love the detail, clarity and openness of the 840av2 and 840c, coupled with the solid low-end.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a) the different cabling options, and b) which type of speaker cable would work well with the B&W and CA set-up? Is using jumpers better than bi-wiring?

Nick

_________

Equipment:

CD player (1): Cambridge Audio 840C
CD Player (2): Audio Alchemy DDS v3.0 Transport, Audio Alchemy DDE v3.0 DAC, DTI v2.0 jitter reducing processor
Amp: Cambridge Audio 840A v2
Speakers: B&W N804, Chord Carnival Silver Bi-wire speaker cable
Cables: Various Van den Hul, Mongami and Tara Labs interconnects
Headphones: Sennheiser 595, Audio-Technica ATH-ES7, Sennheiser PX200, Audio-Technica ATH-EC700Ti

Sep 29, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 3
From what I have read bi-wiring is only useful if your amp also supports it. Unless your speaker wire is overly thin, having problems, or your just itching to have new ones I wouldn't bother. But I doubt you will see any difference using the jumpers or the bi-wiring.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 3
I echo the hype that is biwiring...

I ran 803's both biwired with Straight Wire Serenade and with jumpers with AP Oval nine and no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back