What sounds better standalone, Ipod Class or Sony A series?
Feb 21, 2008 at 10:51 AM Post #5 of 9
any sony sounds better than an ipod
tongue.gif

seriously though, the nw-a8xx with out doubt!

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:00 PM Post #6 of 9
indeed...

every sony beyond the NW-S70* series blows away ANY ipod!!

Feb 21, 2008 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 9
it really depends on your headphones. if the iem is low imp heaphone of 32-12 or so, the sony will be much better but have much more hiss. it drives low imp headphones very very well. however, i much prefer my dt770 with an ipod. it seems to drive them with better quality bass etc

the same goes with my cowon d2 - it reminds me of similar sound to the ipod 3g. with low imp headphones, it does not sound as nice as the sony, but with my high imp headphones like dt880 it is much fuller and has a much bigger soundstage.

i think nothing is better than the sony without an amp for low imp phones though

Feb 21, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 9
The charts I have seen don´t indicate a bass roll off with the classic when loaded with 32ohms phones. However, from my listening tests I´d say that there is a 2-3db roll off with 16 ohm phones.
I own both A818 and Classic. My current IEMS are TF 10, Se 530 and Sony´s EX 90. Overall I prefer the combination Classic + Se 530 bc the Shures are a bit on the dark side and thus complement the classic very well.
Also, the Classic doesn´t have any hiss despite that the fact that the A818 bests it on most SNR tests, albeit by a small margin. I am going to have to say that the Classic easily destroys any previous ipod sans the 1st gen shuffle. I absolutely hated the adjusted open-airy mids on the 5, 5.5, touch and nano 2+3. These are disgustingly deficient audio machines with massive bass roll off of 7-8! db from 100hz downwards and tuned mids, imho.
The Sony NWZ 818 remains rather true to the source. The frequency response curve is very good with a small "fsb-boost" of 0,5-1db in the bass department. However, there is some constant dsp effect doing its magic creating somewhat of an analog sound. Most people will find that sound signature to be "superior". To me it´s a matter of personal taste and IEM combination. I own the 818 for gym and summer use and really like it a lot. There is some hiss with high sensitivity IEMs but definitely absolutely bearable, leagues better than the rattle snake touch. I can highly recommend both DAPs and suggest you buy both!
Prices are coming down nicely on the NWZ. BTW, the UE-11s JwangSDC will be using are on the warmer, darker side as well.
The ultimate DAP for me would be Classic Sound with iTunes+ Sony Controls, UI, Responsiveness, Drag and Drop facility and full metal enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back