What sounds better, Sony V6, KSC35, or Sharp HP-MD33
Aug 22, 2004 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MajinWu

100+ Head-Fier
I can't stand my new roommate's music or ceaseless self-boasting, so I'm looking for a nice way to escape all that noise. Anyways I need some cans that isolates well and sounds good.

Currently I have KSC-35's and I used to have a Sony V6, so I'm familiar with their sound. I kind of like the V6's sound, but I know it's not very balanced. Now I'm looking into the Sharp HP-MD33 canalphones and I get a good impression of them from everyone's posts.

Can someone comment on how the MD33's sound compared to a V6 or a KSC35?

Also, what does 4-pole or 3-pole mean? I see it a lot with MD33 posts. Are there 2 different versions?

Oh and I plan to use my AV-710's high quality jack to run them. I heard they only handle up to 20 mW. Would this be a problem if I crank the volume too high?

Aug 22, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 3
can't help you with the sound signatures, since i've heard none of those phones, but I can help you on explaning the 4-pole thing. Normal headphone plugs are 3-pole (left channel, right channel, ground) so you see 2 stripes on the plug separating the 3 "poles". The md33s were specially catered to some special minidisc players which had a 4-pole system....so, 3 stripes on the plug. I'm not sure what it was for or anything, but it seems like that technology never really took off. Luckily the sharps come with a 4-pole to 3-pole adapter in the package (at least to the best of my knowledge). Though you have to realize you're ALWAYS going to be using this adapter, so it gets a little annoying (this is actually one of the reasons i went with the ex71s instead of the md33s..not dissapointed in the least with my non-audiophile ears)

Aug 24, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 3
thanks heaps- thats exactly waht i needed to hear. terrymx recommended the sharp headphones but the adaptor thing sounds really annoying, so looks like sony ex51 are my choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back