What sound card pairs well with ATH-M50's if at all?
Dec 2, 2013 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fruhstuck

New Head-Fier
Hello Community,

I recently have taken my first step into the world of better audio by purchasing a pair of ATH-M50's. I absolutely love them but I have been told many things and have read many things from many different people regarding a sound card to go with them. I've been learning bits here and there about audio and I have mixed feelings towards buying a sound card as a result. Currently I'm using these headphones for gaming and listening to music on my home built PC. I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard using a Realtek ALC892 chip set.

I've read a sound card isn't worth it, I've read it is worth it, and quite frankly I honestly don't know a enough to make a decision on my own about buying a card. So I was wondering if I could get some help? I've looked at cheap sound cards around 70$ and the praised expensive ones like the Asus Xonar Essence STX and from what I can tell it seems like the Xonar is a bit out of my league. So, in short, I guess what I'm asking is simply is it worth paying the price tag for the Xonar, should I be looking at something cheaper, or not at all?

Thank you,
                Fruhstuck

Dec 2, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 2
  I recently have taken my first step into the world of better audio by purchasing a pair of ATH-M50's. I absolutely love them but I have been told many things and have read many things from many different people regarding a sound card to go with them. I've been learning bits here and there about audio and I have mixed feelings towards buying a sound card as a result. Currently I'm using these headphones for gaming and listening to music on my home built PC. I'm using an ASUS P8Z77-V LK motherboard using a Realtek ALC892 chip set.

I've read a sound card isn't worth it, I've read it is worth it, and quite frankly I honestly don't know a enough to make a decision on my own about buying a card. So I was wondering if I could get some help? I've looked at cheap sound cards around 70$ and the praised expensive ones like the Asus Xonar Essence STX and from what I can tell it seems like the Xonar is a bit out of my league. So, in short, I guess what I'm asking is simply is it worth paying the price tag for the Xonar, should I be looking at something cheaper, or not at all?

For the kind of cash you would pay for the Essence STX, money would be better spend upgrading from the ATH-M50s.
You could try the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $27 see if makes a difference (should at least a little).
Or make an investment into a Creative Sound Blaster Z (SB1500, retail box) sound card, $74.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back