What sound card for around $100-$150 for BF3 with Beyerdynamic DT880pro 250ohm
Mar 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Juster

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. New to the pc audio game. I am looking for something that will make my Beyerdynamic dt880 pro 250 ohm headphones sound real good while playing BF3. I also enjoy some music, but gaming and specifically BF3 are what I am trying to dial in. I have encountered a problem that I am confused about. I have an older set of logitech 5.1 speakers that are analog that I would use once in a while for music. I see that a lot of the newer cards don't have analog s/pdif connectors. Does that mean I cannot connect any speakers unless they are digital? I guess I just don't understand what s/pdif connectors are for. I also have another problem. My computer is in a tight spot so I would like the ability to have my headphones and speakers plugged in at once, without having to swap them out. If the sound card has a separate port for the headphones I wouldn't have to swap them out correct? What if the sound card doesn't have a separate headphone jack? Would I need to use a Y splitter, or switch to get what I am looking for? Will I lose noticeable quality by going with the y splitter or switch route? I figure all I would have to do is turn off my speakers while I am using my headphones, and just unlplug my headphones from the speaker extension cable for my headphones. I just DON'T want to have to climb under my desk every single time I want to listen to music on my desktop 5.1 speakers. And I want my older analog surround speakers to be able to plug in and work. (confused on how some cards say there is no analog s/pdif connectors.) I am looking at all the Asus Xonar cards. I like their pci cards because I won't have to use a cable for power like on their pci-e versions. But I will go with the pci-e solution if they are better. Should I spend the extra money and get the ST or STX for around $200? Comes with a DAC/Headphone amp rated up to 600 ohms. Will the extra 100 bucks in amplification be worth it for my cans? Or should I just go with the D1/DX series? I am also looking at the Creative Xi-Fi titanium cards, but I see they have a lot of driver issues for bf3, and EAX is going by the way side. Thanks in advance!

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 3
The Asus Xonar DG will decently power the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and has analog 5.1 speaker.
The Asus Xonar DX/D1 support up to analog 7.1 speaker, but will not drive the DT880 pro 250-Ohm.
The Xonar DX/D1 has a better DAC, you can get one of those used for $50 and then buy a separate headphone amplifier, like the Fiio E9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back