What sound card <130$
Mar 20, 2008 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pablobaluba

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
i need to buy a new soundcard for my pc. here it is:

budget <130$
i want it for music (90%time) and maybe movies. (no games!)
i use 95% headphones (senn hd555)
my music is 320kbps (if that's important)
and i came across these two:
m-audio revolutions 5.1. vs creative x-fi xtreme music

so..which your choice
thanks in advance

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 8
M-Audio.

Creative LOL

How about Un-Creative...with drivers.

Mar 21, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 8
The Chaintech AV-710 (~$25) is a very nice card once modded with Black Gate capacitors. Switch the two circled in green and you're set. I'm using mine as a transport to my DAC now but the black analog output can hold its own against probably anything else in your budget.

I also found that it does a decent job at driving my HD-595s unamped, although adding one does make enough of a difference to be worth the cost.

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 8
This kinda bending the rules as I'm new to the board. I'm selling a stereo-link 1200. I could conduct the sale on Ebay if you'd like. I'm asking 80 but I'll do it for $60. Check this link out. I know that people are talking about modding soudcards and all. But this is perfect for your application. USB. SOUNDS GREAT! Check this link out. stereo-link :: USB DAC connects your computer to your stereo

Mar 25, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Note following differences:

digital out:
M-Audio: digital out:coax
X-Fi: digital out: X-Fi Xtreme Music: coax, Gamer & Audio: optical
inputs:
M-Audio: mic, line
X-Fi: mic, line, digital in (flexijack)
analog outputs:
X-Fi: front/center+LFE/rear - four-pole jacks work as standard jacks up to 5.1. or as actual four-pole jacks for 7.1
M-Audio: front/center+LFE/rear - 5.1 only but there is extra headphone jack
standard front panel
M-Audio: you need to make your own cable if you find pinouts
X-Fi: current cards have front panel connector compatible with Intel Audio HD standard (so you can have a headphone jack on front of the PC case)

So .... both are good. It depends what you need. How you gonna use it, how to connect. X-Fi should be easier to set and use. X-Fi drivers are fine, although when they brought X-Fi (2005) they were not. M-Audio was introduced in 2003 so it is even older technology.

M-Audio has a very handy patchbay section but if you are not musician then this is not important. X-Fi has Wave Out Mix and What U Hear option (Wave Out Mix+Analog in), to make a stereo record of what the card is playing. Handy with DRM music and similar. I used it many times. Revolution 5.1 does not have it. With Revolution the recording is only possible only for Mic or Line or Aux. See this:
M-Audio Revolution 5.1

Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 8
I just got an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 for $140. Not sure if the deal is still going but you can check NCIX.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back