What sort of Grado RS-1 is THIS?!!
Jan 13, 2010 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sampson_smith

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just checking out pics of the RS-1 and RS-1i online and came across the following link:

grado rs-1 headphones 3d model

What the...? Looks to me like a site that sells the blueprint for the mod' to make that rather striking altered wood housing. Maybe not, given the extremely high-quality professional engraving. Given that it has barely any screen room for air to pass in and out of, I have my doubts as to how it sounds. (Looks like it actually may be a "closed" or at least "semi-closed" variant of the popular can.) Also note the modified pads (reversed L-cushions?) and smaller headband. Looks like this is geared for use on the go, vs. home listening. Crazy stuff!

Anyone purchase/try out one of these before?

gradors1headphonesajpg5.jpg

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 14
Damn, looks ugly IMO. If I really wanted to go for a portable woody I would go with ESW9/10jpn and save the extra costs that I would be spending on those mods.

Also, I'd expect some major changes to the SQ with these being nearly closed (save for that small ring opening). All Grado's are designed as open headphones for a reason and I would bet that these mods would only bring about detrimental effects to the SQ.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, I'd expect some major changes to the SQ with these being nearly closed (save for that small ring opening).

Only on head-fi would someone talk about the change in SQ in a headphone that is actually just a 3d model

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #5 of 14
Yes, it is awfully strange, isn't it? I'm surprised that this has slipped under the Head-fi radar, until now. Who would do that to a perfect pair of RS-1's if it was only going to make them slightly more portable at the cost of near-perfect, high-fidelity sound?

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only on head-fi would someone talk about the change in SQ in a headphone that is actually just a 3d model

Obviously it's just a model, but I thought it was clear on the OP's post he was speculating on how these would sound if they were a real mod
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Okay... so it is just a 3D blueprint! What the heck would one use it for?

"Curves and history have been left on for easy manipulation of the headphone wires."

The above made me think that it was an actual physical, thus 3D, product. Still plenty confusing, that.
confused.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Its a terribly done 3d model of grado headphones, for $30. You guys are reading too much into this. :p

Biggie.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Curves and history have been left on for easy manipulation of the headphone wires."

The above made me think that it was an actual physical, thus 3D, product. Still plenty confusing, that.
confused.gif

Modders resource for games, CGi shots etc.

The reason why it looks like this is IMHO the terrible tendancy for some modelers to over accentuate "notable features" (prime example of this is "better bodies" for morrowind).

The cups were probably drawn as a single volume (cyllinder) and then spliced/altered afterwards

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Obviously it's just a model, but I thought it was clear on the OP's post he was speculating on how these would sound if they were a real mod
rolleyes.gif

I have to admit that I assumed it was real, or at least a mod' that one could try. That said, again, the main point was indeed, how would they not sound compromised by that rather strange design? What the heck is the point/use of a 3D model, anyway? If it were a drafting AutoCAD file, I could see it being turned into an actual physical object, but that appears not to be the case now.

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Modders resource for games, CGi shots etc.

The reason why it looks like this is IMHO the terrible tendancy for some modelers to over accentuate "notable features" (prime example of this is "better bodies" for morrowind).

The cups were probably drawn as a single volume (cyllinder) and then spliced/altered afterwards

Thanks, MrGreen. All cleared up, although they look uncannily--no pun intended--real! Now I can get on with my day.
wink.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

confused.gif

You are just looking at a site that sells 3D models. It can save you a lot of time if you just buy a completed model and use that in your Maya, 3DMax or similar project. You can probably buy pretty much any model you want over there, even buildings I guess. For example:
Roads: 3D 3ds road texture high
Brains (no texture): 3D c4d brain cerebrum cerebellum
An airplane: 3D max AIRBUS A 320
New York city buildings: max new york city buildings
In other words, it has pretty much nothing to do with Headphones.

EDIT: I guess I'm a little late with my comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back