What song(s) tug(s) at your emotions the most?
Dec 14, 2004 at 10:29 AM Post #46 of 96
Just to name few songs:

Alice In Chains: Nutshell, I Stay Away, Would?
Mad Season: Wake Up, Long Gone Day
Blind Melon: Walk, Mouthful Of Cavities

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #47 of 96
The Last Resort - Eagles
The Voice Within - Christine Aguilerra
You Needed Me - Anne Murray
I Know Him So Well - Steps (Abba Mania)
Nocturne Opus 27 No 2 - Chopin
Berceuse - Chopin
Harmonies du Soir - Liszt

Dec 15, 2004 at 2:21 AM Post #48 of 96
There are a couple...

Art Garfunkel, "All I Know" - This song is about a man who loves his partner very much, but they've reached the point where they can't seem to break through the troubles that they're having. For anyone who has ever gone through a rough time in a relationship, it really hits home.

Simon & Garfunkel, "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - I'm sure we all know this one. One of the really beautiful tunes ever written in my opinion, and the "no matter how tough things get I'll be there for you" message always gets me. Same comments for "The Only Living Boy in New York".

Jeff Buckley, "Hallelujah" - Another beautiful tune...the longing in last few choruses is just haunting.

Radiohead, "Letdown" - See comments about Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah".

Dec 16, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #49 of 96
Ones that come to mind out of the female vocalist category are.....

Sheila Chandra - Lagan Love/Nada Brahma, Sacred Stones

Rhea's Obsession - Waves

Loreena McKennitt - Night Ride Across the Caucasus, Marco Polo, The Mystic's Dream

Beth Quist - Ritual

Collide - Halo

Enya - Boadicea, How Can I Keep From Singing

Lisa Gerrard - Sacrifice, The Unfolding, Cantara (dead can dance)

Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares - Svatba, Shope Shope

Sarah McLachlan - Angel

Sarah Fimm - Wrong Side Up (an under-your-skin eerie tune).

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #50 of 96
for mom,

Iron & Wine - upward over the mountain:

"mother i made it up from the bruise of a floor of this prison
mother i lost it, all of the fear of the Lord i was given
mother forget me now that the creek drank the cradle you sang to
mother forgive me, i sold your car for the shoes that i gave you

so may the sunrise bring hope where it once was forgotten
sons are like birds flying upward over the mountain..."

for the girl, long lost:

ryan adams - call me on your way back home

(say what you will about everything after Heartbreaker, that album is untouchable)

"oh baby why
did i treat you like i did
honey, i was just a kid
bubblegum on my shoe
but you loved me
and i loved you
call me on your way back home, dear
'cause i miss you"

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #51 of 96
For me...

Dynamite Hack - Mellow Version of "Anyway" (aka Female Version of "Anyway") : I'd love for someone to tell me what album this song is from! It's by far the most emotional song I've ever heard, and this from the guys who did that weird cover of "Boyz In The Hood"!

Nessun Dorma : I like the Three Tenors version most when all three join together for the crescendo. It sends shivers down my spine!

Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb : The instrumental is some of the most expressive music I've heard.

Bjork - Bachelorette : A stunning video and song

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Pearl Jam - Last Kiss

I thought that song was lame and very out of character for Pearl Jam. But it was so popular. Maybe I should listen to it again
smily_headphones1.gif

280smile.gif

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:04 AM Post #52 of 96
I'm surprised at this, but I have to say that it's Sophie Ellis Bextor's song "By Chance" from her "Read My Lips" album. After that, it's The Bangles' "Lost at Sea" from their "Doll Revolution" album.

Dec 19, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #53 of 96
王菲 (Faye Wong) - 红豆 (Hong Dou/Red Bean): There's a reason I consider this my favorite song, period.

許茹芸 (Valen Hsu) - 之说给你听 (Zhi Shuo Gei Ni Ting/Only Telling You): Her wispy voice just make this amazing.

梁詠琪 (Gigi Leung) - Today: I normally don't like songs where the singer mixes languages, but this is one huge exception.

Sarah McLachlan - Angel: The beautiful piano notes... her incredible voice...

梁静茹 (Fish Leong) - Fly Away: The lyrics strike a major chord with me, and I love her voice.

宇多田ヒカル (Utada Hikaru) - DISTANCE, FINAL DISTANCE: Just lovely.

张惠妹 (A-Mei Cheung) - 我可以抱你吗 (Wo Ke Yi Bao Ni Ma/Can I Embrace You): A heartbreak of a song...

Joanne Hogg - Kokoro: Even better than "Small Two of Pieces".

The Goo Goo Dolls - Iris: The only good part of the movie, the lyrics make this song.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Under The Bridge: To this day, I still don't think I've heard another song that's so sad...

R.E.M - Losing My Religion: Speaking of sad songs...

Pearl Jam - Last Kiss: What can I say, I'm a hopeless romantic...

Elton John - Candle In The Wind: Somehow...

Backstreet Boys - Show Me The Meaning of Being Lonely: This is the *ONLY* BSB song I like... I swear!

That's about it for ones I can think of at the moment...

~KS

Dec 19, 2004 at 8:25 AM Post #54 of 96
Eric Whitacre is a decent composer who is a little bit too popular right now for his own good and who sometimes is a bit too experimental for my tastes.

2 Samuel 18:33 is one of the most poignant passages in the Bible.

Eric Whitacre temporarily transcended time, space, and truth, saw human emotion through God's eyes, assumed superhuman powers, and rendered 2 Samuel 18:33 into 15 minutes and 5 seconds worth of crystallized grief in musical form that he named "When David Heard."

"When David heard that Absalom was slain, he went up into his chamber over the gate, and wept; and as he wept, thus he said: 'my son, my son, O Absalom my son... would to God that I had died for thee; O Absalom, my son, my son!...'"

Alright, so that was a bit theatrical. BUT - it is, in my opinion, simply one of the most heartrendingly beautiful songs in existence. Right now (and for the last year or so), it's my favorite song in existence.

Another one which unexpectedly moved me in an profound way was the disc "Cathedral Classics" by the Dale Warland Singers, which includes Samuel Barber's "Agnus Dei" (a cappella version of "Adagio for Strings"), Frank Martin's "Mass," Howell's "Requiem," and Allegri's "Miserere mei, Deus."

I love music, especially sad music, and I've been fairly emotionally involved in listening to some songs. But that was nothing compared to that song and that disc. Both of those hit me significantly harder than any music before or since.

Unfortunately, the Dale Warland disc has been overplayed. I know each piece so ridiculously well that the same magic isn't there anymore. They're still fantastic, gorgeous, perfectly performed gems of the choral world, but nothing hits you like the first few listens...

Dec 19, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #55 of 96
需要你 (Needing You) - 許冠傑 (Sam Hui): A very simple song with very simple lyrics, yet it took me years to understand the true meaning behind those words. The blistering 1 1/2 minute electric guitar solo as it fades out intensifies the effects of those lyrics further....basically a 5 1/2 minute emotional outburst.

Burning Love - Elvis: A smoking performance from Elvis. Completely appropriate title for a song about how intense love can be.

I'll Be There - Mariah Carey: Perhaps the best performance from MC.

I See Your Smile - Gloria Estefan

Dec 19, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #56 of 96
Lately, for me, it has to be anything from Explosion's In The Sky. It's Prog-Rock without vocals so I guess its completley up to the listener on how one would interpret the music on an emotional level. To me atleast, their songs can hit on a number of emotions, ranging anywhere from sadness, to inspirational, anger, so on.. Highly recommended for those late night solo listening sessions.

May 18, 2005 at 2:31 AM Post #58 of 96
An Ending (Ascent) by Brian Eno - This song actually made my eyes swell up with tears.....its just so simple and beautiful.

May 18, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #59 of 96
Greensleeves- Kenny G

This song means the most to me because it is free of lyrics and it has a very emotional tone. It gives the listener the freedom to interpret what it means to him/her. Every time I listen to it, I put in it more meaning. Now, I just feel completely attached to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back