What song do you listen to first when you get new gear?
Jan 13, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #31 of 89
Time or Great Gig in the Sky of Dark Side of the Moon (the whole album usually!)-Pink Floyd
Paranoid Android - Radiohead

Jan 13, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #32 of 89
Chris isaak, Wicked Game.
Contrary to my hifi, I use my headphonesets mainly for relaxation while commuting/travelling. In that phase I'm allergic to exaggerated transients.
On his song you should hear the song be driven by the guitarflow, not by the drums.
There is a kind of warm sonority; if a player can't reproduce that quality, it's not a good player to relax with.
Still enough details on the number to do a first assesment of resolution too.

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 89
Rebecca Pidgeon - Spanish Harlem
Mozart -Requiem
Bing Crosby & Louis Armstrong - Muskrat Ramble
Durante - Magnificat
Durante - Beatus Vir in C
Bach - Little Fugue
Chabrier - Espana
and a lot more.

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #34 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch
I'm listening to this CD right now for work!! I usually play 'Take California' first from this album to gauge general impact, and then skip to various other tracks. 'Better?' (track 4) has a great deep bass kick that I use to check bass punch and/or boominess, but the whole album has a fantastic mix and gutsy sound.

Yep I love the whole album - in fact it's one of the rare albums I bothered to rip onto CD-R just to get a bit more of the oomph from it - placebo be damned!

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #35 of 89
The Decemberists - California One Youth and Beauty Brigade (the cello in the beginning is a real good test of bass extension)
VAST - Touched (can these cans just rock out?)
Bjork Live@Royal Opera House - Echo, a Stain (can they put me in a concert hall?)
Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien (but mostly how can they deal with texture and separation)

lambda.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #36 of 89
van halen - Dreams

that's always the absolute first thing i play to initially enjoy my new/modded cans or new/modded amp

Jan 14, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #38 of 89
I don't have a default song, per-se. Often one of the first albums I use is Paul Van Dyk - Out There and Back (Disc 1), but I think this is a little slow for testing purposes. A good song is Solar Factor - Urban Shakedown (Original Mix). Other than trance, maybe AC/DC - Thunderstruck on occasion.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #42 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkangpae
Saint-saens Sym. 3 "Organ" - Maestoso (2nd half, 2nd mvt.)
basshead.gif

I listen to that one too
smily_headphones1.gif
If you don't feel your hairs standing up on the back of your neck, you know something's wrong (I just mentioned that recording in another post: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101226 ). And... for the percussionists out there:

--New Orleans Bump from Marsalis' Mr. Jelly Lord (drums and cymbals, oh my).
--Paul Simon's 50 ways to leave your lover (Steve Gadd's intro tests soundstage and bass)
--Rhapsody in Blue from Stereophile's Test CD Sampler (listen for that--oh, there it is--woodblock)

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosch
I'm listening to this CD right now for work!! I usually play 'Take California' first from this album to gauge general impact, and then skip to various other tracks. 'Better?' (track 4) has a great deep bass kick that I use to check bass punch and/or boominess, but the whole album has a fantastic mix and gutsy sound.

OMG I LOVE the Propellerheads. Even though they have some good bass, I think that made their beats to be nice to speakers too. I had/have a pair of E888s that I had to send back to Bluetin becasue the left side would Click with some songs when using MegaBass. None of the Prop songs set it off. Master P - Make 'Em Say Uhhh would set them off without MegaBass! I think I'm gonna test off that song next time. I always listen to Dr. Dre - What's the Difference. The first bass note should let me know what's up.

Jan 14, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #45 of 89
I usually whip out QOTSA - "Rated R"
I've heard the album so many times and I love it
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back