What software too use to rip CD's?
Nov 2, 2007 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Basil101

Head-Fier
I have for years used Windows Media Player to rip my CD's into .mp3 but with the purchase of a Vorbis compatible player I would like to use .ogg format but need new ripping software, any suggestions.
Thanks!

(I prefer open source to freeware if possible)

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 21
Exact audio copy, best ripper in existance for win32
theres several threads on it, i suggest you use the search funcion before asking (dont take this as an assult)

Nov 2, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 21
sound juicer is pretty neat and will rip to flac directly. EAC is the best though at getting as close to perfect rip as posible and more importantly telling you exactly what went wrong with a rip and if it's serious. It also scans the cd multiple times and compares each scan to chek that reading is consistant. EAC can be run fine in WINE but I understand that you may just want to use open source aplications for ethical reasons? if so sound juicer does the job fine.. and I seriously doubt there is any audiable differance between that and EAC, just EAC can recover some badley scratched CDs that no other ripper has a chance with :p

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 21
I am not an open source purist (I will certainly give EAC a go) but if there is FOSS available I try to use it. On that note has anyone used this;
http://www.musikcube.com/
Might give it a go tonight, rips to FLAC, Ogg, mp3 and can support WMA WAV and AAC. It can even import my Media Player ratings.
biggrin.gif

Sound juicer is great but only for Linux, I need a CD ripper for windows that can rip to .ogg

Nov 2, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 21
EAC.

Nov 3, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 21
RubyRipper or K3B on Linux. Both use cdparanoia and RR has an extra trick up its sleeve in that it rips the track multiple times and compares sectors for better accuracy.

Nov 3, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #14 of 21
Since you mention Windows Media Player I take it you are running MS Windows, right? ..and you want freeware.
In that case check out CDex. An open-source CD ripper, using the well regarded cdparanoia engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back