what software do you use to listen to music?
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
I guess this kind of question would be more appropriate to post in the Computers-as-Source Components part of the forums.

At any rate, I use foobar for music, and media player classic for videos, with the appropriate codecs seperately installed of course.

Same for me. Foobar for the tunes and Media Player Classic for videos. Not nearly as bloated as most of the other ones (Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and Quicktime).

Mar 19, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #19 of 30
gotta love foobar. I love asio and kernel streaming

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #21 of 30
Foobar for music. WMP for video.

Foobar has everything I need and suits me to a T.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #23 of 30
foobar for music, VLC for video. One of many +'s of foobar for me is the simple, unobtrusive look. I hate colorful flashy music players that take >0.5 sec to load/quit (itunes, WMP
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #27 of 30
Before headfi I used Winamp, then quickly switched to foobar after being here for a while.
rolleyes.gif
icon10.gif

Recently I tried J. River Media Player, and found its ease of use and feature rich well worth the money. The way way it shows media library and album art is miles ahead of foobar and winamp. You should really give a trial version a shot!

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:55 PM Post #28 of 30
Foobar2000. I have the Columns UI but don't bother with unusual graphics, album art, and so on. To me that defeats the whole purpose of getting foobar2000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fwank
i was an ignorant before entering here and now i feel like a 6 year old trying to learn calculus....its crazy!!! i have been talkin to friends about this site and everytime i tell someone about headphone amps they go pssst..'headphones with amp...stupid' i just cant get over that and they think im wastin my time this is a whole new world i have a new concept of music...without hijacking my own thread jeje can someone explain to me exactly how codecs work with media softwares like someone posted

Codecs are just ways to encode information. In the case of audio files the default is WAV (or actually, I believe it is PCM in a WAV wrapper) which is what is used for CDs. There are various lossless formats which encode the file in such a manner that it is compressed, for smaller file size, without losing information. There are also lossy codecs which attain a much smaller file size than lossless codecs, but which lose information or data. Psychoacoustical theory and lots of DBT ABX (well, technically it is single blind but good luck reading foobar2000's face for psychological clues) are used in order to get these to sound good, and they have gotten it to a point where it can be quite difficult to distinguish from lossless.

Mar 20, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #29 of 30
On Windows: foobar2000 for audio, Media Player Classic for everything else
On Linux: AmaroK for audio, VLC/MPlayer for everything else.

Mar 21, 2006 at 2:32 AM Post #30 of 30
Foobar for music, VLC for videos, Real player alternative and Quicktime alternative codecs fro streaming sites. (Never bloat your comp)

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
Foobar2000. I have the Columns UI but don't bother with unusual graphics, album art, and so on. To me that defeats the whole purpose of getting foobar2000.

True. Hence only a couple of lines of code and I have whatever I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back