what size teflon tubing fits litz braided cat5?
Jan 24, 2005 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tsplash75

100+ Head-Fier
anyone know the answer to this question? i've got 6 IE windows open looking all over the web to find out what size will fit and i'm going nuts here. hehe..

* keep in mind that the normal audio connector only fits cable up to just a tad over 1/4" and the litz braid needs 3/16" to fit thru the tubing *

ANSWERED..

4awg will work... more info if you scroll down.

Jan 24, 2005 at 7:47 AM Post #3 of 12
i just braided 6" one for a short interconnect, but i need to purchase some connectors and i want to run the litz braiding thru some teflon tubing to give it a more finished look.

making a couple runs of different lengths in preparation for a new receiver and headphone amplifier i have on the way.

Jan 24, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 12
not to thread jack or anything, but CAT5e wire is pretty easy to break... does litz braiding keep this from happening with regular flexing?

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 12
well.. from the braiding i've done so far, it has helped relieve strain on the wire, but i couldn't tell you if there are positive or negative sound quality issues directly related to it yet, since i haven't added any connectors to them.

i did notice that the cat5 cable i am using is stranded, rather than solid wire, which is an obvious plus for it's flexibility issues.

if anything, the teflon tubing that i am searching for will add to the strain relief and make it just as reliable as any other cable.

to answer my own question about the tubing...

4awg seems to be the best fit for my set-up since the inner diameter is 1/5" and the outer diameter is 1/4".

this is rather unfortunate, since the prices are kinda astronomical for the stuff compared to 8 or 12 awg.

Jan 24, 2005 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 12
well, after much deliberation, i decided to go ahead with my plans and pick up some 4awg teflon tubing from http://www.takefiveaudio.com/ .

in the mean time, i am practicing my litz braiding with different spacing between each sequence, which apparently makes quite the difference in sound quality.

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75
well, after much deliberation, i decided to go ahead with my plans and pick up some 4awg teflon tubing from http://www.talkfiveaudio.com/ .

in the mean time, i am practicing my litz braiding with different spacing between each sequence, which apparently makes quite the difference in sound quality.

Let me know if you can hear any sort of difference between spacings. I made my HD650 cable without any concern for spacing. It is hard enough doing long litz braids without a specific spacing.

Jan 24, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 12
i will most definitely let you know.. i'm hoping the stuff arrives by the end of the week, but the best bet is that it will arrive monday or tuesday of next week.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #9 of 12
i made a test run on one of my litz wire interconnects w/o the teflon tubing and the sound is very crisp and clear.

i twisted and pulled on the interconnect to see how fragile the cat5 would be and so far it's helped up to some pretty good abuse.

my litz braid was designed with a sequence that have each crossing pair approximate 1/2" apart from the next.. ie. 2 X's per inch.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tsplash75
well, after much deliberation, i decided to go ahead with my plans and pick up some 4awg teflon tubing from http://www.talkfiveaudio.com/ .

I believe you meant: Take Five Audio

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamslacker
I believe you meant: Take Five Audio

thanks for noticing.. editted.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 12
just an update...

the teflon tubing from takefiveaudio.com just arrived and i immediately noticed that the tubing has a bit of 'memory' to it.

it was coiled very loosely in the shipping package, so it's gonna take a while for me to get it to coil up into smaller loops. as it is right now, it's difficult to make any useful-sized interconnects without the tube kinking.

hopefully, after a few days of slightly bringing down the size of the loops, by recoiling it into tighter loops, it'll make for some nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back