What size techflex for Starquad?
May 9, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
Hey all, I'm thinking of recabling my SR225i. So I've decided on this cable. I've looked around I've seen that many people suggest getting techflex that is very small, as it is not very good when the larger sizes get loose. Would this work for the cable? Also, color suggestions for the cable are welcome
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also, how much techflex should I get? Same length as the cable I want to build? Thanks all.

EDIT: I want to techflex after the y-split also. Would this heat shrink work around the techflex?

Also, if anyone has any good y-split tips or links, it would be much appreciated.

May 9, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #2 of 18
The microphonics that techflex introduce on headphone cables would become a problem. Like what you'd hear if you put your ear flat on a surface (like a table), and scratch it. I'm not sure how susceptible Grados are to this, but multifilament nylon (kind of like shoelaces), actually dampen the phenomenon.

May 9, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 18
This is Nylon Multifilament which is a lot softer/nicer IMHO.

The pic shows the 'Y' which is the barrel of a Neutrik (a trick I got from Bonthouse).....

P1000958.jpg

I used the same stuff on my 325i's.

P1000939.jpg

May 10, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 18
^Any safety tips for the solder pads? And how did you fix that?

By the way, for the y-split, did you just feed the wires through the barrel and heat-shrink the whole thing? And the barrel is from a 1/8 connector, right?

May 10, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 18
For the canare L-4E6S cable you listed, which is indeed a very good cable, 1/8" techflex works perfectly. 1/8" heatshrink will NOT got over the cable though. The techflex expands, enabling it to fit perfectly. The heatshrink shrinks, so you'll need to start with something wider like 3/8". I suggest getting an assortment of heatshrink sizes though, it'll come in handy! You wont need any larger than 3/8" though, so get a few smaller. Also, if you think you may want to try some multifilament, the 1/4" fits nicely over that cable. I'll reiterate the microphonics issue with techflex. the experiment is up to you.
Regarding the techflex length, you'll definately need about 30~40% longer than the cable. Take into account fraying ends when working, other work margins, etc, so just get yourself a nice stock. The carbon you listed is very nice and if you have half a future in making your own cables, it wont go to waste.

I've personally been using mini-starquad for headphones.. very happily. the same techflex works, but you'd have to get thinner heatshrink.

get a bunch of connectors from markertek too. a bunch of general purpuse mini jacks, maybe get a small assortment of neutrik, canare, etc.. get a feel for what you like. it doesn't go to waste. you start with a headphone cable, make some RCAs, a patch cable comes sometimes, you lose something, you make something prettier, etc.. FUN FUN
biggrin.gif

keep us posted

May 10, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 18
1/4" is better I think. 1/8" is only 3mm inner diameter. They will both work but will come out different looking. The 1/8" is just a bit too tight imo.
And oh, I killed my MS-1s the same way as Spudharris did. You might want to reconsider recabling them or be very careful.

May 10, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #12 of 18
If I were you, I'd only use techflex from the plug to the Y split. If you use it all the way to the earcups, microphonics will be as loud as the music. It drove me up a wall and I recabled them again with a cable without techflex entirely.

May 10, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #13 of 18
Could I use nylon after the y-split? Anyone have any good links for nylon covering?

EDIT: So nylon sleeving... it looks just about as good as techflex. Will it show the cable color through like techflex?

May 11, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 18
Nylon is sweet looking but not as robust. Eg it freys easily. If you catch a paperclip or something it can pull a thread, but if that's not an issues, then it's great. You can't see through it though, no.

It's also a lot more laterally flexible - ie PET techflex makes a cable hard to twist, but the nylon does not. This is the #1 reason that I prefer the nylon for my own gear.

I've found it hard to get a tight fit on thin cables though. Their 1/8" is still a tad loose on the wires after the y-split, unsure if you can get narrower. If not, you'll just want to pull it tight before securing at the last end.

Be sure to post your pics once you decide on your combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back