What size techflex and heatshrink?
Aug 9, 2006 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PsychoZX

Headphoneus Supremus
I am planning on recabling my K-340s when I get them. I was planing on using Canare Starquad. I basically want to have techflex from the connector up to the y-split and then twist the four wires into pairs going into each side of the headphone. I want to cover up those twisted pairs with heatshrink (I included a pic of one HiGHFLYiN9's recables to illustrate what I'm talking about. I hope he doesn't mind.). I also plan on terminating these with a neutrik Female 4-pin XLR (ala K1000). The only thing is I am unsure of what size heatshrink and techflex I should buy. Color suggestions are also welcome. Thanks for the help in advance.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...MS2Cardas2.jpg

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 11
Mister X to the rescue again. Thanks.
k1000smile.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 11
I would think about 5 times before covering the cable in techflex, which you will notice Highflyin did NOT do. The cable will be very stiff and microphonic. Canare has a nice supple feel to it and techflex would ruin that.

However, if you insist, I think black techflex over blue starquad looks great. If you get the thinner starquad (appx 4.8mm OD), 1/8" techflex shows the blue nicely because the fibers have to spread out further.

You should consider spending a little extra for 3:1 shrink to make sure it shrinks tightly. Or buy a couple sizes in 2:1 shrink and pick the tightest tube that fits. Mouser sells 2:1 shrink for about $1 for a 4' length. For 10 bucks you can get set up to shrink anything. 1/8" shrink should cover the twisted pairs, and 3/16" will barely go over the fully jacketed cable for the Y split- depends how neatly you dress out the cable; 1/4" would be better. Probably adhesive 3:1 would be best for the Y split. That is based on no techflex. If you have to cover techflex too, you will need to go to at least 5/16" and maybe 3/8" for the Y split.

If you decide to go with the techflex, buy at least double what you need for the Y split. That way, when you get tired of the microphonics you have enough to remove the techflex and redo the Y...

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
If you decide to go with the techflex, buy at least double what you need for the Y split. That way, when you get tired of the microphonics you have enough to remove the techflex and redo the Y...

I won't have to worry about that. I like techflex. The microphonics don't bother me at all.

Aug 9, 2006 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 11
Any Idea where I can buy all the materials I need from one place? Parts express doesn't seem to have canare star quad and I couldn't find any techflex on mouser.

Aug 9, 2006 at 9:23 AM Post #8 of 11
First off, i'll second MisterX's recommendation. I bought 3/8" flexo and it was sliiiiiightly too big. The color under the flexo never showed through, which was the desired effect. It was a disappointment to say the least.

You should also check out markertek.com, it's a good place!

Aug 9, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J
Even if you can tolerate the microphonics of techflex, I recommended looking into nylon covering. It's softer, less microphonic and just classier looking IMO.

The less sturdy feel of nylon covering bothers me more than the microphonics of techflex.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 11
Being a cable builder myself I can say from experience that I also would suggest to buy techflex a size too small.

The flex stays more neatly aligned/fitted around the cable when bending and moving. Flex which is exact size or even a little too big starts 'flubbering' and loosing. That does not look nice.
The tighter fitting also reduced the microphonics a lot.

Heatshrink, dual layer. It has the best strain relief and will never come loose.
Or single wall and a little hotglue over the flex before shrinking. The heat for shrinking will\very nicely melt the glue and even out so you can't se it anymore. Be aware that cheaper kinds of shrink tubing tend to get harder when shrunken. The more expensive ones (Like Polyolefin) stay very flexible.

My 5cts.
Have fun building!

Hans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back