What site has these parts? Help a newbie out!
Jun 19, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #16 of 25
Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, you call this a "fake amp". What exactly do you mean by that?

Jun 19, 2004 at 7:56 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megaptera
Awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Now, you call this a "fake amp". What exactly do you mean by that?

it will be a cigar box. it will be lined with red felt and mostly empty. it is a fake amp, a secret box, etc.

Jun 22, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 25
Looks good, except for one thing -- I think you ordered a mono jack, instead of a stereo jack. 2POS or 2 conductor for jacks usually means ground and one channel.

Jun 22, 2004 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 25
it looks the same, right? its not going to be wired up to anything.

Jun 23, 2004 at 1:35 AM Post #22 of 25
Ohhh, now I see what you're doing. I thought you were just calling it "fake" because its a headamp that looks like a box, instead of the other way around. In that case, no, there's no difference between the stereo and mono jack, for your purposes
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wanted to get really fancy here, you could add an LED connected to a watch battery or something like that so that switching it "on" has some visible effect.

Jun 23, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #23 of 25
HAHA... see those magnets and AA springs and contacts? Thats so that when i slide the tray in, the contacts get power and power the led, which is connected to the power switch. the tubes and sockets are also connected to the power switch, but they are not part of the slide out tray.

it should be sweet!

Jun 23, 2004 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 25
Oh, now you know what'd be really sweet -- actually building a small, inexpensive amp, like a CMoy or DIP16, and making a fake bottom for the board to rest on. So if anyone gets suspicious and looks inside or tries to use it, it'd actually work.

Plus, you'd have a fakeamp/hidden storage that doubles as a headamp. Now that'd just be funny
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #25 of 25
unfortunately, there is no vertical space to spare. hard drive enclosures are pretty thin!

powering the led and the tubes should be enough, though tubes hardly glow at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back