What Shures should I get?
Dec 28, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnaround
I was deciding between the E3's and E5's. I went with the less expensive pair because I know I'm prone to breaking or losing things. Sure enough, I crushed my E3's under a stack of books within my first year of owning them. Had to buy another pair.
frown.gif

couldnt you get another pair for free, as there is a 2 year warrenty with the shure IEMs?

Dec 28, 2004 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacko
couldnt you get another pair for free, as there is a 2 year warrenty with the shure IEMs?

It's clearly my damage, not the manufacturer's. Unless they have some replacement (for a fee) policy that I could take advantage of.

Dec 28, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnaround
It's clearly my damage, not the manufacturer's. Unless they have some replacement (for a fee) policy that I could take advantage of.

I have heard that they have that kind of policy. anyway, it would often be cheaper to take them for a repair than buying a replacement pair.

Dec 29, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
PCMall/MacMall has or had the E3cs for 119USD with free ground shipping.

Agreed except the bit about the ER-4. The etys don't really come alive without an amp.

I've got the 4ps and they sound better than the E3cs that's all I was saying. I also think they sound great straight from the source. An amp would surely make em great and while we're at it I would throw in the P to S conversion cable for the cherry on top.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 1:13 AM Post #21 of 28
When I first got into this audiophile nonsense, my first purchase was the e2c. I thought they were horrible - muddy, no highs, hurt like a @$%!#, etc. I moved onto the e3, which I liked a lot, sold those, bought them again 4 months later, sold those, bought they er6i, sent those back after 2 days, bought the md33 and thought those were pretty good but sold those because they didn't provide much isolation.

About a month ago, I decided to repurchase the e2c because even with their deficiencies, I liked how they did vocals and bass. These sound nothing like they did to me when I first bought them. They weren't muddy, highs were rolled back but pleasantly so, and now they didn't hurt. I'm really amazed by them. I would go even as far as to say that I like the e2 better than the e3, and I loved the e3. My current pair of e2s have a nice, warm and rich presentation that I absolutely love. I used to think that the e2 wasn't even worth $30, but now I would pay $100 for them. I really can't explain why they sound so different. It could be that after a year of trying tons of audio gear, my hearing has changed, and I am able to better pick out nuances in music. Or maybe I just got a crappy pair the first time around. Either way, I think they are great, and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:36 AM Post #23 of 28
So I've tried the E3c, UM2 and E2c. In my own subjective opinion I enjoyed the E2 presentation more than the E3 one. Anyone else feeling this way other than Tenacious and me? To be honest it's been a while since I heard the UM2's, but I feel like the E2's have a similar sound signiture. Perhaps there is a little less treble. In any case I feel that the E2s are fuller and deeper sounding than the E3. I don't even think it would be worth upgrading to the UM2 or E5c if you get the E2, as the sound is similar (if perhaps a bit less refined and extended).

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:13 AM Post #24 of 28
As much as I like the e2, the UM2 is MUCH better (forgot to mention that I had those as well
biggrin.gif
). The UM2 sounds like a fullsize headphone with great bass minus an expansive soundstage. If you have the dough, the UM2/E5 are the way to go for under $350.

Oh, I should add that the UM2 sounds fantastic as long as you can equalize the sound to bring out some of the highs. Otherwise, I could imagine quite a few people thinking they are murky and overly dark.

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:37 AM Post #25 of 28
I owned and sold a pair of E2's. I really like their sound. I just wanted to try new things. I might go back a get another set. But since then I have tried the etymotic er-6i's and the shure E3's. I think the sound on the E3's and E2's is really similar. The bass is a little tighter with the E3's, the soft tips feel amazingly comfortable and the housing is smaller and shaped in such a manner that you don't need to go over the ear to put them in. Because of those minor differences, the E3's are worth the extra cost to me for the price of $120-130. If I had to pay the whole $179.99 I would go with the E2s again, but I didn't! Overall, I think if you play around with the E2's and/or E3's, get a good seal, get used to the fit/feel of IEMs and give yourself time to adjust, you'll be very very happy. I also have a pair of sony ex51's which sonically are the same as the ex71's, just different cord styles, and while I really like them, the sound in comparison to the shures and especially the ety's is very muddy. Not horrible, just not nearly as good. But at the $25 that amazon had them at, I think they are a great knock-around set of canalphones. Hope you enjoy your E2's. Remember, experiment with the different tips to find which suites you best and give them time!

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MKAL
..snip In my own subjective opinion I enjoyed the E2 presentation more than the E3 one. ...

I just got the E3's yesterday and, though they have more detail than the E2's, the act of listening to the detail is a bit intense. Maybe thats what people mean when they say the E3 is fatiguing. (makes you tired). Is this just an adjustment stage to the greater detail?

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by geardoc
I just got the E3's yesterday and, though they have more detail than the E2's, the act of listening to the detail is a bit intense. Maybe thats what people mean when they say the E3 is fatiguing. (makes you tired). Is this just an adjustment stage to the greater detail?

Yes, after a while you'll find that it is not as fatiguing and you'll really enjoy it. The only bad part is that once you are used to it, once you go back to some lesser detailed headphones, you'll be very dissatisfied with them. If you think the E3's have detail, you should try the etymotic line!

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davnport
..snip If you think the E3's have detail, you should try the etymotic line!

I notice that you have EX51's in your list. Do you ever listen to them? How can you after the Ety's? Or is there some similarity that makes them compatible, psychologically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back